Counterpoint SA-1000 Phono Stage Issue

Good Morning all,

First time posting here! 

I've had an SA-1000 preamp for over a year now, absolutely love the sound, and the phono stage to boot! My issue is, in order to enable to enable the "high gain" option on the selector switch for Phono, you need to move the two internal shunts from the position "1-2" to the position "3-4" (there are 4 pins, the shunts cover two at a time). I've always had MM cartridges, but was recently gifted a Denon 103, so I need it setup for MC. When I move the shunts over to the "3-4" position (which according to what little I can find on the internet is the what I should be doing), I get no sound on either of the phono options on the input selector, and I get some hum/electrical noise from the speakers. I don't have the owner's manual. Any help here would be appreciated!

Worth noting, in the "1-2" setting, which it has been on since I got the pre, it works fine and sounds amazing. The Denon 103 cart still works on this setting, but I have to crank the volume up to 75% to get a decent listening level, with my MM cart (Ortofon Bronze 2M) I need to put it at about 25% to achieve the same listening level.

Cheers!

jaret

@bigkidz thanks.

i searched for that, is that your company? Not sure how you want me to proceed here. I’m going to message you my email address, that would be easier if you don’t mind.

@jaret 

The counterpoint phono stage uses a kind of hybrid technology.  The circuit uses tube section when using mm, and uses jet section when using Mc.  Unfortunately, the noise using jet is very loud.  The jet maybe aged out and no good one available.  Just use low gain setting, and use Mc transformers for Mc,  that way sounds better and much less noise

Thanks @bigkidz !

So the tubes are not used at all in the MC stage? Another member here actually recommended a local guy to me for repair, it’s with him now.