DAC to add warmth and fullness to Linn Ikemi

Hi All,

This has been asked before, but perhaps I can get suggestions that include more recent DAC models?

The Ikemi can be absolutely superb, but I'm just curious that I might be missing out on a bit of warmth and fullness. I reckon that the Ikemi would serve as a top rate transport!

I have no experience with external DACs, so I'm wondering what I should expect the current models available up to about £1000 (I'm in the UK).

Linn Ikemi
Music First Pre (Copper)
Bel Canto S300
Lumley Lampros 100

Cardas Golden Hexlink 5C (XLR) CD - Pre
Chord Anthem (XLR) Pre - Power
Nordost Blue Heaven speaker cables
frank115
Be cautious with trying to impact sound attributes too much with cables. The idea of significantly warming up the sound of your system with a single cable switch is very likely to resutl in other trade-offs. While cables can and certainly do contribute to the sound characteristics of a system, a single cable switch out that takes the whole system sound in a new direction is suspect in my mind.

Case in point, in a recent CDP purchase, I was a bit concerned as I was installing a new CDP for one that is notoriously warm and may end up too bright. The dealer suggested I may want to have a pair of balanced Cardas Golden Cross cables on hand - so I bought a pair. As it turned out, I didn't need them but I tried them anyway. They sure warmed up my sound, too much and my bass fell apart completely. Resolution dropped significantly. They did do what I was told they would, warmed up my sound but at a steep cost everywhere else. My point is that adding a little bit of warmth, especially when replacing a bright tending cable is onething, but adding too much of anything with a cable change should be done very carefully.

Kops idea of considering the replacement or the Nordost is not a bad idea at all, but be careful as to "how warm of a cable you move to".
I think it's a real problem all cables in a system be of different brands and of course different inductance, capacitance, noise suppresion etc.

I suggest Frank115 adress this problem with same line of cables (any he likes) and then see if his problem remains. And it's easy to loan some cables for the weekend.
Prompted by Kops' suggestions on cables, I've changed things round a bit - Cardas now is Pre-Power, and I've changed the CD-Pre to a vdh 'The First' which has certainly tamed a bit of glare! It also seems to give a little more body to the sound, while rolling off the treble a little.

I'm not in a position to purchase new cables just yet, as I've just bought the Bel Canto, the Lumleys and the Nordost cables within the past 3 weeks (purchases made necessary as I'm moving from ATC SCM10A-2 active monitors).

Ckoffend advice sounds good to me - I really don't want to get an overly warm sound at all; really just a subtle shift to the warmer side. I'm enjoying the transparency of the sound at the moment and I'd be lothe to lose the systems strengths.