Dedicated lines — how many? Other advice?

We're redoing our basement and adding an additional panel. This room will become a media room. I may be video and audio at different ends of the room if possible. Not sure.

To be powered:

Video

1. TV
2. AVR

Audio:

1. R & L Monoblock tube amps
2. Preamp
3. DAC
4. CD transport
5. Streamer
6. 3 Subwoofers

QUESTIONS:

(a) Does everything on the list need a dedicated line? Could all benefit? (Including the TV and AVR). Or can I skip the video stuff.

(b) How many dedicated lines for the audio alone? How would you group components on each line?

(c) Any other advice?

Here is the advice I've gathered so far (some from the web, some from A'gon):

• Get a whole house surge suppressor put in.
  • Use the heaviest gauge copper Romex you can use, never less than 12 gauge and typically 10 gauge (the lower the gauge number the thicker the wire conductors).
  • Use a 20 amp breaker for even the lowest draw source equipment feed.
  • Make sure the power lines are balanced on each side of the power panel.
  • Don't let them staple the wire to the 2x4's inside the walls….Work out some other solution that neither uses ferrous metal fasteners nor pinches the wiring when secured to the framing. The physical pinching can lead to a somewhat narrower audio bandwidth…
128x128hilde45
The circuit breaker test I described can be done by anyone, any time. I have described this test at least a half a dozen times now. Once you have your system warmed up and running it takes at most a few minutes. As far as I know no one has ever bothered to try it. 

This is the one area I have yet to hear anyone talk about. It is great what Harley and Atkinson did. For some reason people get all caught up in BSD. I say good for them. But Atkinson compared normal wire to dedicated lines with a conditioner. Harley likewise wired his room, one and done.  

I thought all good audiophiles know you must make only one change at a time to be able to comment on what did what? That is still a thing, right?  

So there really is no conflict at all between what I am saying and what these guys did. All that is missing, neither one of them can say what contributed to what.  

Because I did all my stuff 30 years ago back before the internet I had no choice but to try and see. So my room was wired first the normal way, because the electrician and everyone else had me convinced it couldn't possibly be worth a dedicated line. Then I changed one thing, to a dedicated line. That right there was huge. I have actually done just this one thing, and heard the difference. Then I changed that dedicated line to larger gauge. So I know what that does. Then changed it from 120V to 240V with a step down. Then I added a dedicated earth ground. So I know what that did. Then ripped all the wire out and had it cryo'd. Same wire, nothing else changed. So I know what that does. That was all years ago. Now the last few years I've done a whole slew more things, to the point virtually every inch of wire from where the service comes in the breaker panel to where it solders onto the drivers is treated one way or another.  

The thing about ground loops and hum, it is not a case of if you do it wrong you will get hum. Lots of people get away with doing it wrong, for a couple of reasons. One, it takes a pretty decent voltage differential to result in audible ground loop hum. How much? Depends! And two, a lot of AC "noise" is inaudible as noise. You do not hear it as noise, per se.   

That is the whole point of the test. To educate yourself and your ears to actually maybe understand what everyone else is merely talking about. The fact of the matter is until you have actually done this stuff you just don't know. Atkinson and Harley know they have it better now. They just don't know for sure why, because of the way they did it. 

Having done this stuff has taught me every inch of wire is an antenna funneling noise into the system. I would not want more wires running to my system simply because that is more antenna, more noise. Also I know the value of treating the wires. The more wires the more wire treatment. Double the treatment does not yield double the improvement. It just costs double. 

You see the difference? You see why it is possible to learn so much from seemingly simple tests like flipping breakers? It is nice to cut and paste stuff others have done. Do you see the difference between cut and past and knowing from experience?
That is the whole point of the test. To educate yourself and your ears to actually maybe understand what everyone else is merely talking about. The fact of the matter is until you have actually done this stuff you just don’t know....It is nice to cut and paste stuff others have done. Do you see the difference between cut and past and knowing from experience?

To "maybe understand." Thanks so much.

So "maybe" you can understand that you’re not the only one who listens or tries things. I do know the difference. So do others. And I am not disputing your (insultingly simple) advice to try things and listen.

But bear in mind that you gave an instant and fairly definitive answer -- one dedicated line, no surge suppressor. That instant answer to my question shows what’s worked for you. But by researching what others have found -- relayed, I admit, via the vaunted "cut and paste" method -- what do we discover? Oh, that there are others beside you who have as much experience and acumen as you do (can you, maybe, understand that is possible?). Lo and behold! They, too, have also listened and tested -- and look! they found that *more* than one dedicated line was better. And they found that ground loops are not the best rationale for going with only one dedicated line to the exclusion of more. At least, you know, until there’s a chance to listen.

You see the difference? You see why it is possible to learn so much from seemingly simple research like looking what other testimony report? It is nice to dismiss stuff others have done. Do you see the difference between entertaining there are other points of view besides yours and simply promoting your experience as if it was universal truth? I’m hoping that maybe you can understand the difference, but I won’t be betting much on it.

Once again, I invite you to throw up your hands and say "Oh well" and stop (again) polluting my OP's with your snide remarks. You don't like me, you don't respect me, and I would rather forego your advice (and yet another invitation to genuflect at your system) than be exposed to your toxic personality. Begone.
@hilde45,
Run a 10/awg BX/MC cable solid core conductors from the breaker panel to a metal receptacle box. The metal sheathing on the BX/MC cable absorbs the (EF)) electric fields emitted by the wires and shunts it to ground. Now from panel to plug is shielded. The upside is low line noise and reduced antenna effect. Downside BX/MC cable is pricier. Run at least two dedicated 20 amp lines for audio. I have four in my audio rig. No ground loops See the links below. Hope that helps. Mike.                                                                                                                                 https://centralindianaaes.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/indy-aes-2012-seminar-w-notes-v1-0.pdf

https://healthybuildingscience.com/2013/01/15/residential-wiring-best/#:
Myself has a electrician audio friend install 2-20 amp circuits 
to low resistance ,and isolate I had Awg 10 wire , Pangea to HD 
Solid Copper Gold plated AC outlets they are very good ,
the lines are 4 wire ,have 2 grounds ,1 common ground , the other 
is a insulated Isolated ground , it made a tremendous difference .
I had stock awg 14 originally the noise floor is dramatically lowered 
also the 20 amp circuit breakers are Silver and were $60 each but well worth it ,he had to order them for these are only use in critical 
installs he said and I had installer a Siemens big surge suppressor 
installed at the breaker box to protect it.
@ditusa @audioman58  Thanks -- taking notes and following those links. Appreciate the actual help.