Do larger planar speakers produce more accurate sound?

Planar speakers generate sound pressure via vibrating membrane panels. The excursion of the membrane x radiating area= sound pressure. This would mean that for a given sound level, membranes have smaller excursion in larger planar speakers than in smaller ones. Does this mean that larger speakers will produce more accurate sound?

I am not talking about the obvious benefits of the larger speakers in terms of low frequency production, so let's not get into that.

128x128chungjh

To me accurate connotes measurement. As has been discussed quite a lot by enthusiasts and designers is that perfect flat speakers generally sound bad, sterile, unnatural. Planners tend to be very fast and are capable of reproducing sound well above the range of hearing, which through interaction of harmonics impact sound in the range of hearing creating a bit of magic… commanding one’s attention. I owned some form of planar… and extensively auditioned large Maggie’s and others a lot over fifty years. I switched over to dynamic about twelve years ago and my system started moving much closer to reproducing the nuances live acoustic music. But I also changed an upgraded all of my electronics so, I am not arguing that dynamic hold the top position.

With excellent no holes barred setups large planar, horn, as well as dynamic speakers can reproduce music that is nothing less than miraculous… showing little weakness in speed, tonal balance… etc. The strengths and weaknesses of each category tend to come out in less than ideal (by ideal… I mean great rooms and many $100K, top notch speakers an equipment supporting them), like in the systems most of us own.

If you only are interested in the academic question of frequency response, then I am sure someone will jump in with an answer.

Like most everything, there is always give and take.  There are so many parameters to consider.  So blanket  statements rarely hold water.  I very much enjoyed Magneplaners in years past and still do.  But I enjoy a non-planer speaker more.  

Folks, my question is less about planar vs dynamic; it is more about large vs small planar.

Large planar speakers are the only ones that can reach low frequencies. Little ones with dynamic bass drivers suffer from lack of cohesion through the audio spectrum. Little ones by them selves simply lack bass.  

I've owned two pair of planar speakers, Apogee Caliper Signatures back in the 1990s, and Janszen Valentina P8 now. The latter are hybrids.

The Apogees were more impressive in the sense of a larger than life image.

The Janszens are more flat (very flat!) in FR, and the dynamic woofers are extremely well integrated. So I prefer them. They have relatively small electrostatic panels.