Do true audiophiles own Mcintosh gear

It seems like all the high-end dealers I have bought from or talked to think that Mcintosh is living on it's past reputation. The 2 stores that carry it locally are more mid-fi stores than high-end. I have a friend that swears by it but he hasn't listened to his Mcintosh in over 2 years. What do you think?
taters
Brooks carries Mcintosh? I was in his shop 6 months ago and he didn't have it. I'm going to give him a call.
I've seen output transformers that respond out to 130kHz (-3dB) with feedback... (and I'm about to build an amp around one that goes to 117kHz without)... How can you claim that reduces transparency? In fact, some transformer'ed amps have less phase lag at 20kHz than the typical single-dom-pole solid state amps compensated to 100kHz. Not sure about the Mc's in this regard. Then there's the term "non-linearity" that gets tossed around a lot. They ARE non-linear with respect to voltage vs current, but Vout = (N2/N1)Vin !! even when you are saturating the heck out of the transformer OR your output stage is junk (ie, too much output resistance) in which case it's your output stage causing the wave distortion anyway and not the transformer. All other quantities cancel out in the calculation. Physical Law - Faraday (I think.) And, unless the transformer is TOTAL junk, you can ignore the resistance of the wire for practical purposes.

And, as for "slow bass"???? That's just silly. A ported speaker can slow down response and cause overhang - an amp cannot. Not even a D.F.=10 amp (unless your speaker design is exceedingly poor -ie, 10:1 dip from nom). And, in a "slow" speaker, no amount of "damping-factor" will speed it back up. Some amps CAN deliver considerably more power at low frequencies than others, and there is a link between perception of low-bass content and "slowness". I forget who conducted the experiment or else I'd quote them directly.

I do agree, however, that the tube is a "clearer" device for several reasons that are purely speculative. So I will not elaborate.

Transformers are hardly innovative, but to my ear Mc solid state comes closer to tube than any I've heard.

Then, there's the potential of catastrophic failure that's thwarted by the transformer. I've had experience with failed transistors (not Mc).

Plus - the fact that I can get my full power output into any load I choose! How annoying and what a waste to buy a 1200Wpc amp only to get 300Wpc at 8 ohms?

"But, it doubles at four ohms!" Yeah - right up there with "But, it goes to 11!" They almost all will momentarily - even your Pioneer receiver.

The real innovation in Mc other than their dreamlike specs is in their prices and their reliability. And, IMHO, there are a few "leading brands" in high end that ought to be avoided like the plague - ones I've serviced and seen their schematics and insides.

But, perhaps therein lies the rub. Because their amps aren't ridiculously expensive (comparatively), many will automatically assume they are inferior. And that presumption is flatly impossible to put aside in a non-blind listening test. This goes along with a report I was reading about a recent perception experiment with cars. Any markings that would betray the make/model were removed, and the focus group hated any car that they assumed was American - even when it was really a Japanese car (and vice versa). Not sure if we're allowed to post links to other websites on here ...

I am a little disappointed that Mc amps no longer make their rated full sinewave power (into a resistor, obviously) for more than a few seconds. Their amps from yesteryear make full power sinewaves all day long. In their defense, music hardly resembles a sinewave unless you listen to some weird stuff. Sadly, I don't recall listening to any of my pipe-organ amp torture cd's on a newer Mc amp. So I can't report on that front. I have only encountered an issue when playing compressed music ludacrously loudly with the amp in a cabinet with the door closed (obviously a situation to be avoided no matter which amp).

OK they've shut down the AC and lights in the office. Time to go home ;-)

This question is the philosophical equivalent to

"Do true race car drivers own Bentleys"

Cheers

Cwlondon
I am a little disappointed that Mc amps no longer make their rated full sinewave power (into a resistor, obviously) for more than a few seconds.

When did that happen? How is that even possible? - I thought the FTC required that an amp has to make its advertised power for a period of time, or they couldn't claim it had that much power.
I don't know when they made the change. Nor do I remember exactly how long they will run before thermalling out. But it certainly is NOT indefinately. It was actually mentioned also in either an Absolute Sound article or Stereophile article. Forgot which. Review of the MC501 specifically.

I'm sure they're still well within FTC requirements as they are obviously far more robust than even "good" mainstream surround receivers (some of which are making HUGE power claims these days).