Does JBL get a bad rap?

For years, all one heard regarding almost any JBL product, especially vintage consumer grade products was that they were all boom(bass) and sizzle( highs). I feel this is an unfair generalization. Surprisingly, I find much of their budget minded gear(80s-90s) actually soft in the treble and very non-fatiguing(titanium laminate tweeters). I also have experienced the L100T and found them fairly well balanced and nuetral. The midrange does lack some realism magic especially on vocals but so do other highly touted speakers. In short, I am a little late to the game in regards to the JBL, but as a mainstream maker I am impressed. And that doesn't even take into account their 4xxx studio monitors which are highly regarded. Back me up jbl fans!
128x128phasecorrect
Back in the 70's, I bought a pair of JBL 001s in the Olympus enclosures (with the wooden fretwork grilles). I loved the sound but each one was the size of an entertainment center. I sold them in the 80's for half of what I paid for them and the buyer bought them without even hearing them. I still regret ever letting them go.
JBL has been in business for over sixty years. They must be doing something right.
My home speakers are JBL Professional PA speakers. Harbeth killers? With rock music, they will play without strain at levels that would send Harbeths (and most other high end speakers)into hiding. Not the lowest lows or the highest highs but well balanced overall and not fatiguing.
I remember back in the I think 80's, when they were about to put out the last of the l100t's....I drove all over town trying to get a pair. I already had a really good receiver to match it with...(carver) that went well with it. any one who had one was over pricing them knowing about the lansing take over. the sound at the time was awesome, I quess due to them using the earlier (like celestion) alnico magnets... I eventually settle for the P50 some time later and eventually moved up to the alon/Conrad Johnson combination.....but no not to me, like bose and other of that price range, we have just moved on or up...
Check out the current Synthesis line...1400 Array, S3900 & 4700, K29900, and Everests. You'll be pleasantly surprised!