Does JBL get a bad rap?

For years, all one heard regarding almost any JBL product, especially vintage consumer grade products was that they were all boom(bass) and sizzle( highs). I feel this is an unfair generalization. Surprisingly, I find much of their budget minded gear(80s-90s) actually soft in the treble and very non-fatiguing(titanium laminate tweeters). I also have experienced the L100T and found them fairly well balanced and nuetral. The midrange does lack some realism magic especially on vocals but so do other highly touted speakers. In short, I am a little late to the game in regards to the JBL, but as a mainstream maker I am impressed. And that doesn't even take into account their 4xxx studio monitors which are highly regarded. Back me up jbl fans!
128x128phasecorrect
As I said above, I love the early JBL models, and I'll admit I am not really up to date on their more contemporary models. I just took a look at the link from Stereophile, posted above by Kiddman (JBL Synthesis Array 1400 BG). To me, it looks like a horn stuck to a speaker. Everyone will have an opinion, that's mine. Aesthetics should count for something. I'm not trying to be controversial and you don't have to agree with me, but if you like the look of that speaker, we have nothing more to talk about.
Hi Tonykay, input JBL-Everest DD 67000 speakers on your search, you will enjoy what these new JbL speakers look like, as a matter of fact, the 1400 Array is the only pair of speakers in the model line up that look like that, all the other models have the horns in the cabinet, cheers.
The pre Harman James B, Lansing was very helpful to me and cultivated a sizable DIY segment in our little hobby supplying planes and components back in the day.

You'd find naked plywood on stages and in some well heeled homes in those days. Leo Fenders original gut strung (hand wire wound over the pickup) Precision Bass design included the very small tweed Baseman amplifier to, rather successfully, emulate the tone of an Upright. If you needed a proper, truly low end loud Bass amplifier you were on your own until Ampeg and acoustic marketed their first trunk sized designs. JBL offered a selection of efficient cabinet designs one could build or buy.

Not actually an audiophile yet I was very impressed by the Jensen Imperial with the Tannoy Gold driver witch may have been the second or third Hi-Fi system I'd listened to back then. After a long day at the recent San Francisco Audio Show the Pass Labs room was driving a pair of Imperials with their 50 watt amp and a Technics SL 10 turntable. IMO that speaker shamed 98% of the speakers at that show.