EAR 834P Deluxe with Dynavector 20 HX H output Cart.

I am using the High output MC Cart. and have to use in MM setting on the EAR. Someone at a shop said if I use a Dynavector 20X low output that I would have to turn my volume on my pre-amp too high. It seems low would be the right choice being in MC mode I get distortion with my High Output Cart now? Can anyone help with this situation?

Thanks very much!

romad

I believe that is exactly what I wrote, but good to know that is Mitch’s recommendation.  Btw, Mitch’s 834P mods are fantastic.  I loved what his mods did for the sound of mine when I had it.  Highly recommended!

Hi frogman,

Mitch also did the upgrades to mine as well. He is a super nice guy and is very knowledgeable with all kinds of different audio equipment. BTW what cart, do u like the most?

Update- I talked with the EAR dealer who also sell Dyna. cart. and he said I would be better off using Low output cart. and use the MC on the EAR, would be better than using the HO cart. in MM mode. So two different responses. I think I will try the Low cart. and see the results.

And to complicate it, there is the third option of combining the low output cartridge with an external SUT and the MM input of the EAR. It can make a big difference, but there is an element of luck as no one can really tell what a particular SUT sounds like as it will depend on the cartridge and phono stage used.

dogberry, when I get the cart. I will see how it sounds, from what I am told there is a SUT built into the EAR I will be using. So hopefully I will be fine.