Electronic stylus force gauge question

I recently bought my first electronic stylus force gauge. It's a generic type made in China, but looks and feels a surprisingly decent quality. It was purchased from Mehran at SoraSound for those who happen to have it.

I noticed that when I try to measure the VTF, the gauge begins to display a minus reading of -0.01-03 g as I'm lowering the tonearm to place the stylus on the black dot. It then displays a steady reading once the stylus is placed on the dot, which appears to be accurate by comparing with the Shure gauge I used in the past.

I make sure that the platter is secured so I'm not quite sure why the gauge displays the minus reading before the stylus lands in the measuring spot.

Has anyone else experienced this with their electronic gauge? I realize the minus value is arguably negligible, and the issue might be of no practical significance, but I'm trying to get my Delos to track as close to 1.75 as possible so I wonder whether I need to adjust for the minus value. I'm also curious why this is happening.

actusreus
Yuk...this "argument" is really getting silly. I offered my views because in MY experience, I found my posting to be absolutely accurate...but only for those who are looking for the very best their setup can bring to them. If that is not your goal zei gazundt. ( although its a puzzelment why you are on this forum)
Stringreen,
Whom are your comments directed at? No one challenged or took issue with your posts. It's puzzling to me why you would choose to post such an antagonizing reply, whomever you're referring to.

As a side note, please re-read my original post. I never asked for advice about tracking my cartridge. I simply asked a specific question about a digital scale. This whole "silly argument" began because some of the responses, I believe starting with yours, moved away from what was asked and began a whole other discussion that now has culminated in these unnecessary diatribes. I know you mean to provide beneficial advice to those who know less than you (and I personally have always valued your opinion), but I think it would serve us all better to simply address the questions asked only, or refrain from posting, rather than pontificate, however accurate it might be in your opinion.
Q: Can someone explain the problem with my stylus gauge; it's acting wonky when I take a reading for my cart at 1.75g?

A: Why on earth are you so obsessed with tracking at 1.75g?

I'm no logician, but I believe informally we can call that a non sequitur. I agree though that some non sequiturs can prove educational.

I had a similar experience recently with my cheap electronic gauge and a new cart. The reading would go negative as the stylus approached (but did not touch), and if I hover the stylus a bit above the gauge, the reading would go all over the place. This had never happened before with my other carts, so I naturally blamed first the fan that was on, then the air conditioning, and finally the batteries. None of the above. It was the new cart's interaction with the gauge. I know this because I just swapped back to an old cart and the reading is stable and repeatable (as usual)--with the air and fan on.

I have no idea what about the cart's interaction with the gauge is causing the disturbance, but I share Actusreus's concern about getting a repeatable number in such circumstances (my fluctuations were far more wild than his, but even so). The reasons are for this concern are none of your business ;-)
I always have similar but not exactly identical problem with most of my cartridges. If I turn on digital scale on first and let it zero first, as soon as I move my cartridge over the scale, it gave negative reading. However the number usually does not fluctuate wildly. The reading is very much reproducible every time. I assume it was just magnetic interference from cartridge or something along that line. Usually I just move my cartridge above the scale first then turn the scale on and let it zero itself then. This happened with my airtight koetsu dynavetor and Lyra with 2 different scale (same made though) so I thought it was normal.
Just to add to the fun, I have three arms mounted on two tables, and in each case, my cheap digital scale tells me that the VTF varies depending on where I put the scale on the respective turntables. That is, it measures slightly differently depending on whether the scale is placed where the lead-in grooves are, or half-way in, or where the end grooves are. I find this curious but not really important. Certainly trying to pinpoint 1.75 g -- as opposed to l.72 or 1.78 or whatever -- is not in the cards for me :-)