Ethernet cables

Hello everybody!

I would like to have your opinions about Ethernet cables. I recently saw some silly expensive Ethernet cables! Do you think it is worth spending a huge amount for a cable which transfers data? Your thoughts please! 
Thank you!

128x128thanasakis

soix

I'm being truthful and, as an electrical engineer, i know a thing or two about cable/wire electronics and that's how i contribute to this thread.

"It’s really sad and pathetic." so you resort to name calling.

I will give you an example. A USB cable ABC manufactured by this massive cable factory Sinotek in Shenzen, China. Look it up you will get good ideas about cable manufacturing.

1. You can buy this ABC for $10 on Amazon.

2. Or you come up with an idea so you decorate the cable (with fancy jacket logo printed heat shrink tubing, etc.) oh and dip it in snake oil and sell the same cable for $1000... make sure you (or someone you hired) write a post(s) claiming " it makes a startlingly significant improvement!". Why not? what's wrong with making money. On the other hand you can be a sad person to buy one for 1k when you get to live on a small income.

Later

@classicrockfan Do you believe there are audible differences, either good or bad, in analog cables? 

@ghasley

all cables sound the same man!

btw, all speakers sound the same, and all food wine coffee tastes the same, and all cars drive the same

later dude...

🤣

@jjss49 thanks for this post, I almost spit out my triple latte grand machiato whipped double shot of Kenyan and Ethiopean coffee. 

I’d always thought rejecting noise was a key aspect of better Ethernet cables among other things, but as I was looking into capacitance in speaker cables came across this that maintains it’s also a critical factor in digital data transmission. I had no idea and have never seen this discussed before, and I’m thinking this may be yet another reason why pricier Ethernet cables with better design/materials sound better than the cheapies…

Effect of Capacitance on Signal Transmission

When the voltage applied to conductors changes, the electric field between them charges or discharges in response. However, this does not occur instantaneously, which leads to a delay in voltage change, as well. The higher the capacitance, the slower the voltage change. For signals such as power or simple input/output circuits, the impact is usually negligible. More complex signals, like those transmitted in data networks and building automation communication circuits, can suffer considerably. Excessive capacitance for high-speed data transmission can cause successive bits to bleed into one another and render the signal unrecognizable to the receiver. When this occurs, system malfunction ensues, and inevitably network users and building occupants notice – and loudly voice – their displeasure. An unreliable system using inadequate cable can quickly lead to expensive rewires and damaged dealer reputations.

Designing Cabling for Low Capacitance

Typically, low cable capacitance is considered 15 pF/ft. or less. The total amount of capacitance on an installed cable depends on a variety of factors including cable length, insulation thickness, insulation material, and the presence of shielding. Engineers design data cables with these factors in mind to minimize capacitance and promote clear and undistorted signal transmission.

No alt text provided for this image