Experience purchasing a used high-end cartridge

I am contemplating purchase of a used high-end cartridge with reportedly low hours. I found a thread from 2013 about this topic and am wondering if advances in online marketplaces have improved the experience or lowered the risk. I would like to hear from those who have purchased a used cartridge through Audiogon, US Audio Mart, or eBay within the last year. What was your experience? Would you do it again? Did you ever attempt to return the purchase and if so why and what happened? Listing of the seller would be greatly appreciated if willing to share.

vacountryboy

There are quite a few considerations to have a very good knowledge of when setting up a Cartridge.

If these considerations are not worked with to achieve an optimised interface that is maintained, a very expensive Cart' remains a very expensive Cart', or a discounted high end Cart' depending on the method of Purchase.

When not an optimised set up, there will be a Cart' in service that is not firing on Four Cylinders.

Through usage, the Cart's is being incrementally worn out, not offering near what the design for it, had as the intent for the the Cart's capabilities, as a non-optimised set up for usage, the Cart' will not being offering anything like the design intent has been for the Cart's capabilities.

A Cart' set up using Analog Magic Software not too long ago, whilst in use this weekend, was detected by the Group of listeners to have come of the sweet spot.

The very experienced TT owner has already booked the revisit from the Software owner. These are the type of commitments required, if optimised Cart' usage is to be maintained during the Cart's usage life.

Unless you're very lucky all in all you won't get more value than you pay for. I started in this hobby trying to get some great carts used and had limited success. Then moving up the line got hurt on a couple. One in particular- Airtight Supreme, the suspensions are the weak point and once worn out you're done. 

I would only buy from the manufacturer who has certified it as good as new, or from a dealer I knew very well, at a store I can visit so they can do the set up. I was lucky to get a VDH MC One Special  from a dealer I knew for 20+ years who had a customer trade it back to him shortly after he bought it for a VDH Frog. He doesn't try to make money on the trade-ins so I was able to get a tremendous deal (over 60% off list). The stylus lasted 9+ years with a very good amount of playing time. VSH styli last longer than most due to the design, created by AJ van den Hut himself. 

I’ve purchased a couple used cartridges. A Grado ReF Platinum was only $250. But I did acquire a Benz Ace SL for $650. The cartridge was sold by a dealer with a guarantee so truly no risk. I’d owned the cartridge some 12 years earlier and had been desiring another one. The cartridge is an exceptional moving coil, and impossible to find used anymore, which is why I paid more than I should have, but you can’t take it with you.