Glanz moving magnet cartridges

Hi,

I have just acquired an old Glanz G5 moving magnet cartridge. However, I cannot find out any details about this or the Glanz range or, even the company and its history.

Can anyone out there assist me in starting to piece together a full picture?

Any experiences with this or other Glanz's; web links; set up information etc would be warmly received. Surely someone knows something!

Thanks in hope
dgob
Hi Nandric,

Sorry, my points only relate to the Glanz G series and their distinctions really and I should have made that clear. My triangulation only works in that domain - no real experience with the others (only the specified Astatic and Glanz): although I have observed the cosmetic similarities between the Glanz MFG and Astatic MF ranges. I think your logic and experience here seem sound.

As always...
Dear Dgob, We both try to inform other members about the Glanz and Astatic carts. While both kinds are not easily available one may have luck and if one find ,say, Glanz
31 l or E even more luck because of the price difference with the Astatic MF 200.
Thanks to your info I was able to at least see the G3 which should be similar to your G5 and G7. I do believe that those are exceptional carts but I also noticed that
they have no azimuth and eff. lenght adjustment provision.
By the integrated headshell/cart combo's such a provision is necessary for the correct geometry adjustment. One can see by Technics 205 mk 3 ,for example, how those provisions look like. BTW there is no standard or 'norm' for the 'right stylus place' in a cart. That is why the most headshells have this adjustment provision.

Regards,
Dear nandric: Your point is of paramount importance and I already posted several times in several threads including this.

IMHO any cartridge where you can't make change azymuth set up always be a wrong cartridge set up and the same if you can't make a headshell changes or even overhang changes.

In the old times I bought it almost all the cartridges that came with integrated headshells but some manufacturers as Technics and AT where wise/knowledge enough to permit in those designs both parameter changes. Some other very respectable manufacturers as Yamaha or FR just don't care about. I think that with these kind of designs they made it a mistake a heavy mistake.

IMHO there is no single justification or no single argument to support no-azymuth change designs, period.

Today all those integrated cartridge designs including the ones where we can make azymuth/overhang changes are the " wrong " item because that so old internal wiring/connectors and because we really can't match if with the right headshel/tonearm.

Like today I read this thread but IMHO is useless ( at least for me ) that some of you put all that energy on " faulty " cartridge designs.

Of course that fortunately we live in a free world, go a head! some of us likes to be sticky with some audio subjects/items.

regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Hi Nandric,

All I can really say is that the Glanz G series are designed with the aid of fortune. By this I mean that they are perfect fits for the Audio Craft AC3300 LB tonearms (with AP300 wand) and can be checked against their own protractor. My fortune was simply to have tried it on the AC3300 in the first effort and JOY!

I am certain you could find similar fits with other arms but I simply have had no need to assess their stunning performance in any other combination. Maybe it would be a fine fit on one of your other arms. I know that the only expert that I know on my cartridges (G series) suggested they might also be a good fit on the SME 3012R. I do hope you have the opportunity to try one to assess their performance for yourself. You already have some experience of the direction that these cartridges take you musically and I share your positive and mature assessment of that experience.

As always...
Dear nandric: Not only that but even you can't make a precise/accurate cantilever alignment!!!

R.