God doesn't need to know what time it is.

Value of anything is a most fascinating subject to me.

Eric Clapton hasn't owned this  Rolex Daytona for nearly 20 years. It 's probably been in storage since he dumped it and is expected to fetch north of $1.6M?

For that much I'd want his playing ability AND his stereo system.

tablejockey

@mahgister +1 Gracious, but unrequired. ;)

Actually, we all are 'on time', all the time.

It's just not the one you may have expected at the time...

Thanks for being gracious to all of us here...I only try to imitate you a bit ... 😊

My best to you....

asvjerry

2,945 posts

@mahgister +1 Gracious, but unrequired. ;)

Actually, we all are ’on time’, all the time.

It’s just not the one you may have expected at the time...

I collect watches and have (amazingly) heard the "why have a watch when your phone has the time?" comment before. Why have artistic painting when you can throw paint on the wall? Music? Just grunt and rattle your food bowl...man...for those who like them, watches are amazing little machines with soul and wearable design...Rolex is an interesting company that makes over a million watches a year, and their prices have soared...so what? Don't like Clapton's playing? He's sort of proved himself musically over 6 decades or so...so...meh...he can play and it's very likely you can't. (however, I can and have for maybe only 5 decades...again...meh...)

Tylermunns, would you like to own a painting of Caravaggio or Dali? Or perhaps one from Picasso? 

By all means, they were not nicest people, but what that says about thier art? I have never met Clapton, do not belive that you have either. I guess, if you are superficial enough, you might find 'something' on anybody that you dont like. As long as their deeds does not affect the lives of other people, their personal traits are just that, personal thing. I am not even the fan of his music, but when you mention blues or players that he 'ripped off', at least he brought some attention to some of them or their art, which inspate of having tremendous historical and artistic value is not appreciated in thier own country, as many of them could not make living of it. Just read some biography (almost any) of  big jazz protagonists of the past, there is almost no 'happy' stories, not to mention that until recently they could not share the same space with folks of different color.

I strongly believe that these are far more important things to understand or 'make the stand' about, than the personality of some rock star and even the notorius one.

As for the likings of watches or jewlery or anything overly expensive, a song comes to mind...

Or perhaps this one...