Good speakers for a low budget

Hi, I am helping a friend find speakers for around $600. Aesthetics are a high priority. Thank you.
imaginarynumbers
Wow, we don't have a clue about what this woman's taste in music is, what equipment she's going to use with whatever speakers she chooses, the room she plans to put the speakers in, but already we have many people giving suggestions about what speakers to buy. Anybody know what's wrong with this approach? To many people around here, are very quick to say "but this, buy that" without having any idea about what really needed or what might works best for this woman. Perhaps, some of y'all before you "shrill" your favorites, you might want to ask some necessary information. It's the type of thing that might help make someone make an educated decision. What works for you, might not be what's best for somebody else. As I see it, the orginal poster has given very little information to work from, and that being the case I would be hesitant to make any recommendation whatsoever.
I'm not sure the lady has a clue either...and exactly how do you clean up a hippy?
Cleaneduphippy makes some very good points, and it's frustrating how many people look for advice here without giving a clue as to what they're looking for or what they already have. As a general rule I don't respond to posts that aren't more specific, but in this case since someone else is doing the research it seemed obvious she isn't an audiophile so I felt OK making suggestions that meet the requirements as stated. I would bet she'd be thrilled with the majority of recommendations made here, and at the very least we can all feel a little better knowing she won't end up with something from Bose.

Condolences on the cleaned up thing.
I prefer to know more before recommending usually, but there are certain models in this price range that a layperson can surely build a nice system around and I have no problem pointing someone to these and then letting them decide. It beats the alternative of picking randomly based on whim because there is also a lot of junk out there for this price.