Gustard R26 ladder DAC sound signature - comments?

I'm evaluating a Gustard R26 while I can still return it to Amazon. I've been burning it in for four days now and did some critical listening both when I received it and just now.

I've heard great things about this DAC, including one guy who normally is interested in $10K+ DACs saying he was really taken by the R26.. extremely high resolution and very musical details.

My impression is contrary to that and I'm not sure my DAC is working properly. It actually refused to lock properly on the USB signal or make any sound for the first day, then suddenly started working.

My impression is that it's very dark and missing the top octave. For example, brass instruments (in classical music) are not brilliant or thrilling like I expect them to be. The highs are veiled and muddy. 

I'm comparing to a modded Gustard x20pro (this is a model from 6 years ago - in my case very highly modded and an excellent performer) and a PS Audio DirectStream DAC Mk 1. 

My USB transport is an Aurender N100. I have a very high performing USB cable and power cables custom from the same guy who modded my x20pro. The R26 is on vibration isolation. I'm using a custom 12AU7/FET headphone amp into LCD-2. Normally this system (cables, headphone amp, etc.) is very revealing of the highs. 

Can I get some other opinions on the R26? Is it dark and veiled to anyone else? And what are you comparing to, if anything? I wonder if mine is not performing correctly.

magon

“Dark and veiled” are not things I’ve seen written about the R26 so something seems amiss.  I’d try unplugging it for a couple minutes and see if that helps, but if not and you can’t find a way to fix it I’d be inclined to return it and either try another one or something else maybe like a Denafrips Pontus 2.  Best of luck in figuring this out.

I have had my R26 for a year and it is the EXACT opposite of what you describe. I also compared to the Denafrips - which went back because the mids sounded congested.

You are also unfairly comparing it to your super modified DAC - compare it to an unmodified DAC.

I've had the  R26 for a couple of months.  I don't find it dark at all.   I have it paired with my Innuos Zen Mk3, sometimes in USB mode, sometimes in LAN mode.  Good USB cable good LAN cable.  

I do notice that it sometimes it doesn't switch flawlessly between LAN and USB mode.  So I just keep it in LAN mode, which I think sounds better anyway.  

My previous DAC's were a Benchmark DAC 3B, which I found a bit "grating" - not bad mind you.  Just a bit I don't know, bright?  Then I tried a new Border Patrol DAC (exact opposite from the Benchmark) and found it a bit too rolled off at the top end for my taste.  the R26 seems to be my goldilocks.  I can't see spending more on a DAC personally.  

I am only using USB, but there a few updates to fix that, I think. The latest is v1.42.

One thing to keep in mind is that Gustard, like most R2R DACs, have a longer than usual break in time. You gotta wait at least 100, preferably 200, hours before reaching a definitive conclusion.

I had bought the R26 from Amazon, and although I sent it back in favor of Denafrips Pontus II, both DACs were very very close in terms of performance. Dark or dull is not a word I would associate with this DAC. I found the soundstage to be exceptionally well, as in wide, and the top end was quite nice and detailed without being overly done.