Halide Bridge vs hiFace Evo vs Sonicweld 192

I've given up on the Squeezebox Touch and as skeptical as I am from previous experience with some cheap USB converters (Trends(?) and HagTech) I'm intrigued to try it again based on some reviews, mainly the Halide Bridge (even after reading; USB audio receiver code, Streamlength™, by Wavelength Audio*).

Find Missing Link

I've wanted to use my iMac/iTunes (Front Row) for years but nothing sounded satisfying enough, including $1K-$3500 USB DAC's*. My system is very resolving and uses the Reimyo DAP-777. The reviews give the Bridge a slight edge in musicality compared to hiFace Evo and no comparisons with Sonicweld 192. Plus I'd rather not pay $1200. Wow! Price increase since I last looked into it - $1,799.00! &*%$!
sakahara
I get it - too many variables, no way to know for certain. Thanks.

Reimyo-DAP-777 doesn't have USB. OPT, COAX, BNC only. Probably designed/suited for COAX, which is what I use. And I actually had the perfect matching music server; iTransport/iPod. Should have kept it. May buy another one if these USB converters don't work out. I realized after trying different priced USB DAC's and converters a few years ago that I would need a very special DAC to give me the sound I was accustom to hearing with my previous CDP (Accustic Arts). So once I decided on the Reimyo DAP-777 and had heard what the SB3 could do it was clear that the iTransport was the best solution at that time - still is. But I wanted a larger GUI.

As for now, the SBT is being returned and I'm going to try AirTunes from both AE and AppleTV, followed by the Halide Bridge. Hopefully one of these will be the one. The only way to know for sure is to try it in my system.
Sakahara-You only get 1/2 of it. Too many variables to
just guess, there is a way to be reasonably certain.
Contact Reimyo, look up past Reviews of DAP-777 on
The Absolute Sound/Stereophile Websites. Reviewers have
a tendency to try ALL Inputs to find Sweetspot Input. You
can contact others who own Reimyo DAP-777 here and other Forums on Audiogon. Try to find someone using DAP-777 with
PC Audio, or CDP, and has tried various DAP Inputs. Contact
the Dealer who sold you the Reimyo, he probably has experience with other Reimyo Customers, and what works best
for them. This can either be CDP or PC Audio Input. The more info the better. Need to really research the DAC to
determine best Input. So many who don't, end up buying
$1790.00 Converter which should sound great; but, doesn't
due to Compatibility issue. Compatibility issue can be just using alternate non-optimized Input on DAC. Not the
Converters fault. Any Input can be the optimized Input on
DAC, the other Inputs not so much. Design of DAC can be made to sound best around BNC, different design around
COAX-SPDIF, different design around OPTICAL to sound best with these. You want a DAC that sounds best with ALL Inputs, be prepared to shell out $10,000.00 for other Inputs you will never use. Many Inputs on many DACs are just Window Dressing pretending to be Swiss Army Knife,
which does sell alot of DACs. Other Inputs will function,
but not nearly as well. It is whats under the hood, that
corresponds to what is plugged into the back that counts.
Some DACs have no problem dealing with Switching Mode Power
Supply from Computer and Audiophile Grade Digital Sound Card. Some DACs have Switching Mode Power Supplies themselves, their Power Supplies designed robust to reject
SMPS noise. Other DACs desperately need Power Supply
isolation from PC via Analog self Powered Converters. So even concideration of the Power Supply of the DAC is a critical factor with PC Audio. IMHO, all of these missmatches are the true cause of radical differences in the positive/negative results with PC Audio. Please don't ask me to drag the PC Software into this as well. Five times more possible combinations means five times more
opportunity to get it wrong. Yeah, the connections will fit, they were designed to fit, but don't assume that they were ALL designed to sound the best simply because they do fit. This is one of the greatest misconceptions of all Audio, and five times more complex with PC Audio. Know your DAC to minimize variables, you will know yourself, and you will know for certain. Things suddenly get allot easier after that!
To make things more complicated, one has to consider three variables in this connection: the digital cable, the USB cable and the USB converter. I definitely don't want to spend the time and money trying to figure out the best combination.
Which makes the simplicity of the Halide Bridge appealing and probably the best bang for the buck when considering the costs of the two other cables needed otherwise.
Lokie-Spending $1,799.00 on a Converter, that would normally sound great; but, sounds awful due to compatibility problems with DAC IS a waste of time and money. Turning this into Russian Roulete, or Crap Shoot is
never more simple, and definitely more complicated. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any one of these Converters, except they will benefit certain DACs; but,
not others. The critical factor is the design, and type of
DAC, the optimum Input based on that design, not to mention the Power Supply for the DAC. All DACs are nowhere
near the same, and not all Converters will behave the same
with all DACs-no matter what the price or quality. Some get
best Sound Quality with Firewire, others with USB, some
with Fiber Optic, Wireless, SPDIF, BNC, AES/EBU. They can't
be all optimized for best sound quality for all DACs, that
would be impossible. The only deciding factor here is the
design of the DAC, and the optimized Input based on that
design. This will limit what Input to use, limit what
Converter to use, and which type of connector. Process of
elimination doesn't make things more complicated, guessing in the dark does! Try Halide Bridge before you buy, if you
want to make things simple. If you even want to make things
more simple, do a little research on your DAC. Wonderful thing the Internet, saves time and money! Do a search on
Reimyo DAP-777, who knows what you might find out.
Knowledge is Power, lack of it is never simple!
Sakahara-Internet search produced review of Reimyo DAP-777
by Positive Feedback Issue 34 in 2007. Review includes both
Reimyo DAP-777 and Reimyo CDT-777, both Solid State Units.
It looks like the DAP-777 has a volume control, couldn't
quite tell, reviewer didn't cover this. Reviewer also didn't cover what DAP-777 can decode (24/96, 24/192...?)
Presume that you know this already. CDT-777 utilizes Philips CDM-12 Drive, and only has Co-axial Digital Output.
DAP-777 has Optical, Co-axial, BNC, and AES/EBU Digital
Inputs. DAP-777 also has Balanced, and RCA Audio Outputs.
Transport sounds like it was designed specifically to go
with Reimyo designed DAP-777, Reviewer didn't try with other Transports and DACs. It sounds like you already have.
Have you ever owned Reimyo CDT-777? Usually, Transport and
DAC are designed by same Manufacturer to go together. Trying DAC with other Sources might work well, but usually
not as well as designed Transport. Recommend taking DAP-
777 to local High End Store, and trying it with various
Transports utilizing various DAP-777 Digital Inputs and
various Analog Outputs. Balanced in, balanced out usually
sounds best; but, listen and verify with your particular DAC what sounds best to you. That Input is more than likely
going to be your optimum Input from PC/Converter.
Manufacturer is listed as COMEBACK CORPORATION, JAPAN. Web
Address: www.combak.net. Try and contact them by E-mail to
get best recommendations for PC Audio/ Converter/ type Input for DAP-777. Importer Info: MAY AUDIO MARKETING, INC. Tel: (800) 554-4517. Web Address: www.mayaudio.com.
E-mail Address: mayaudio1@aol.com. Contact Importer and try to find out what most Reimyo Customers use for PC Audio and their DAP-777. Try searching Audiogon Forum for
Reimyo DAP-777. Find other DAP-777 owners to see what they are using. You only have $1800.00 to lose; but, if it is the right device for your DAC, atleast you will know.