Harbeth Super HL5+...thoughts

I’m currently awaiting our home to complete construction.  During that time, I sold off my Dynaudio C4’s and BHK monoblocks.  Loved the sound, but I also had a rather large, dedicated, listening space.  In our new home, I’ll have an office, but on the smaller scale.  I picked up a set of Pass Labs xa60.5’s and Harbeth Super HL5’s.  I’ve read numerous glowing reviews, from many that write about audio products for a living.  Was wondering if anyone that owns the HL5+ would share their “pedestrian” experiences.  
toddcowles

Showing 2 responses by avanti1960

The SHL5+ is the speaker I should have bought a long time ago.....
currently about 30+ hours into a new set and could not be happier.  
Bass extension, impact and balance in the sound is perfect.   Midrange is legendary and the high frequencies have the perfect amount of "air" without being unnatural.  
I have heard many speakers but these are perfect for me.  
The only downside is one that is manageable as long as you realize it.  The sound is very sensitive to the amount of toe-in.  Close (but not quite) to on axis with your ears is the best I have come up with.   F few degrees wider and the sound thins out and the speakers become quite "visible".  A few degrees inboard and the sound becomes overly rich and loses detail.  
This is very different than other Harbeth models for some reason.  Get it dialed in and what a glorious sound!  
The 40.2s require lots of space (five feet plus) from back and side walls and a very robust amplifier to avoid sounding bloated.