Has anyone heard FM Acoustics

I have been told by a couple of Audiophiles that the FM Acoustics amplifiers were incredibly good and very expensive. Has anyone had hand-on experiences with these amplifiers? The amp I have heard of most is the Resolution 811. Would this venerable amp still approach the state of the art for solid state?
128x128baranyi
Hi Dev,
Re my remarks of the FM266, in my full post I was implying that in comparison they were actually the more truthful to the source. You remember in late 80's early 90's back when digital were premature? FMAs seems to have their voicing on track even back then. Unlike the many other pre-amps which compensate digital's shortcomings by giving them nice warm beautiful cloaks to make them 'look' good, the 266 simply laid them bare. I had a friend brought over his '16yrs old' FM266 earlier this year to compare with my REF3 (with current digital rigs) it made me the more convinced that FMA were just ahead of time.

This prompts me to an FM266mkII, and finally last month the FM268. Since the 266mkII was still a loaner, I decided to make the jump now rather than too late after depreciated cost has been factored in by my dealer. It also freed me the thoughts of any pre-amp upgrading in a very very distant future. Beside an obvious step up in sound quality, into consideration also is the 268 excellent built-in linearizer plus remote convenience over the 266mkII.

Dev, again I cannot warrant any recommendation other than to speak from personal experiences. There will be just too many variables - components synergy, room factors, not to mention tastes and differences in priorities. But I can swear by the brand and attest that they are the best 'I' have encountered thus far. As their cost is quite substantial, do find time to audition them yourself possibly in your own set-up. My guess is driving your MBLs, you might need one of their bigger amp - say the FM1811 which if not mistaken list is CHF125,000 (nett price policy, lucky if your kind dealer can give a 5% break on them). However, I strongly believe in our journey towards 'audio grail', this will be the one road worth traveling, to have an FM experience, whether or not you ending up with one.

Ps.this post is getting too long, I will save my room and equipment details for another time.
The FM Acoustics prices are getting out of hand! These are units meant for the very rich or for those crazy audiophiles who have a second mortgage on their real estate (for the sake of audio?).

Chris
Bvdiman, I hear you. In the ideal world would be to find someone who has the same speakers as mine with FM product and already has them dialed in and have a listen.

My set-up would be pretty simple as it would only be a line source for CD playback.

Are you currently using Magico Mini II's.

Does this product run warm, hot ..... I read info. referring to having two fans inside to cool them. Do you hear the fans.
Dev,
Ok, here's a suggestion, when you get in touch with your FMA dealer..
Amplifier - Ask to audition the FM115 mono config. (250W 8ohms, 450W 4ohms). They list around CHF85,000. If this is insufficient to drive your speakers/room then you will need the FM1811. Sound wise they are both fairly similar in characteristic and quality, and a refinement over the older Resolution series.

Pre-Amp - Partner them with either an FM255mkII, FM266mkII or the FM268 (depending on how far you want to stretch your budget). For pre-amps, unlike their amplifiers, I heard more significant improvements each time you climb up the ladder.
(I came to above conclusion as I'm doing this upgrade in stages (cost consideration), I was thinking to either buy the amp or pre first. I tested two combinations, one 1811/REF3 and the other being 611/268. I had much better result with the latter, therefore decided on the FM268 first and do the amp upgrade later).

Cables - Tie them all up with FM's cabling (a must!). Forceline3 spkr cable and PIT (Precision Interface Technology) ic's. This is where it gets a bit sweet, though not as expensive, they put to rest my Valhallas, Synergistic Designer's Reference2 and Siltech G6 ic's and speaker cables. You will save a bit here as you don't need tenths of thousands of dollar in cabling to make your system work!

I have now actually heard the above FMs amp/pre-amp combinations in 5 different speakers set-ups ranging from tiny MiniII to the giants - Wilson Wamm, Kharma Grand exquisite, Acapella Campanile and FM's own Inspiration System - where all sounded truly amazing! However as none featuring your MBLs, I did hesitate initially. Goodluck! But given the odds, with the superb combinations above I'm sure you will not need one.
Oops.. the previous tell tale post was for Chris re insane pricing.
Dev, my FM611 is the older gen, I've had it for more than 15yrs. They do not have cooling fans yet, the newer FM611X got them. Also the 115 and 1811. My amp runs warm but not hot, they have thermal protection circuit which shut off and stabilize amp once the maximum thermal temperature is reached, light blinks for 10 seconds and they are back ready for action! Btw.Their fans are whisper quiet, in the many friends set-ups, never once I notice their existence nor feel them to be intrusive.