Has anyone made the jump to $uper High end and were disappointed?

I'm talking $50,000 and higher amps, speakers, cablesetc. I know there is excellent sounding gear from $100 to infinity (much is system dependent, room, etc). However, just curious if someone made the leap and deep down realize the "expected" sound quality jump was not as much as the price jump. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to make that jump. However, looking at another forum's thread about price point of diminishing returns got me wondering if anyone had buyers remorse. It's not easy to just "flip" a super high priced component. 
aberyclark
Tomcy6  I will use some items I have actually personally purchased. First off would be a pair of altec  604E speakers for 1200 then would be a pair of atmosphere M 60 mono blocks for 1800 
 Then a pair of Phillips 12 inch sub drivers for 300Built some boxes for 100Sumo Polaris  amp to power those 200
dahlquist dq lp1 crossover 150(needed a pot replaced)
Bottlehead beepre preamp for 1500
ayre qb9 dac for 800(used original version pcm only)

Keen eye will notice I've gone over 5K but I am talking Canadian pesos so I should still be under 5K USD. I went digital because if I went with my analog rig I would be way over. 

The 604s are key as they are perfect for the otl's at 16 ohms. The otl's are a step up over everything I've ever heard  and I've heard a lot!

Post removed 
Thanks for the reply analogluvr.  I think it would take a very experienced audiophile to put that system together.  It's not a system that someone just getting into good sound or even myself, with some experience, would put together.  It is inexpensive by audiophile standards, though.
I think there is a great potential to be disappointed with a really high end system. I think speakers can be the biggest culprit. To me large speakers often sound like PA systems. 

I guess you can figure it out for yourself by looking at the ads for really expensive speakers on Audiogon. If they weren't disappointed they wouldn't sell the damn things.

Best
Jim
Dealer of the decade.
Post removed