help with harshness / brightness - cary 303-100

I'm really new to audio. I've just set up my first system. Its: plinius 82000 int. amp, well tempered classic TT with upgraded arm and platter, cary 303/100 cdp, energery veritas 2.3 speakers. I just added the turntable last night and the entire system sounds great. I am now wondering if I have a problem with my cd player fitting into my system or if there is a cable tweek that can help. The harshness that is present really makes me turn the volume down and after a short listening session ... loose interest and leave the room. I'm currently using the reference 2 monster cable for interconnects and monstercable 12 gauge flat wire for my speaker cables. I'm ready to purchase cables ... is there a cure? Or should I try another player for my system that is less bright? Room treatments?
andrew7540
First off, I would be tempted NOT to ad Silver cabling to an ALL solid state system. Try one length of Cardas Golden Cross, between your amp and pre, or CDP and Pre. GC is very mellow, yet does not hide information.System synergy, with cabling is what the holy grail is all about. It takes some time, but is worth the effort.
The thought of adding a tubed pre, is very good advise also, but try some cable changes( borrowing from a dealer), and see what happens. Make sure the cables are broken in.
Tim
Well Drubin, he does have a fatigue problem with the Plinius-Cary combination. I have heard the Cary with other "nonfatiguing" SS amplification, and it was harsh. Tubes are a sure cure, so one does not have to search around for that certain special SS pre/amp. Sure Andrew could try other thing like different CDPs and whatever, but I suggested tubes b/c they rule with the 303. So yes I am sure you are right, but I did not say the Cary has to have tubes.
THANKS EVERYONE,

I GUESS THAT I HAVE SOME WORK TO DO. I'D WHICH DIRECTLY TO THE TUBES BUT ... THEN I'D HAVE TO GET BOTH A PRE AND AMP. SO I THINK THAT I'LL TRY SOME CABLE OPTIONS FIRST. IF THAT FAILS ... WHAT ABOUT THE CARY TUBED PLAYER? OR A DAC?

ANDREW
Soundlogic makes a good point about putting silver interconects into the system, a good quality copper cable may help you smooth out the harshness. Tubes are nice but they will also change the sound of your analog. Charliee also makes a good point about break in, some of the best components sound like you're dragging a cat behind a buick until they break in, which can take quite a long time.
I suggest that you change your weakest link first: the cheap speaker cables.
Stranded speaker cables have a reverse sinergy with digital, they emphasize digital's harshness, glassiness and sibilance, which most of the time is encoded in the disc during the (usually poor) production phase.