Here is an interesting artist that's new to me, and I wanted to share his music.

Jon Batiste is a musician Rok just introduced me to. From the first notes he played, I knew he was from Louisiana, with out knowing anything else about him.

Here's his bio https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Batiste

This is the tune Rok submitted;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCC1EEmJlo4

It was one I will eagerly add to my collection. I thought I would share this with other music lovers seeking new artists.
orpheus10
Piano is in no way the most important jazz instrument.  You must be hung up on European heritage.

Jazz and blues are founded in "vocal" expression emanating from the human soul.  Wind and brass instruments are perfect for "singing" or "crying out" through a musical instrument.

Piano is percussive.  Fantastic jazz can (and has) been created on piano.  But sax, trumpet, clarinet are the most important - they allow the inner voice to pour forth much like singing.  The players literally sing through the instrument.
***** I'll never understand the Wynton critics.  Why is creativity the measure?*****

His critics are mostly adherents of what is called  'modern' or 'contemporary' Jazz.  In this sort of 'Jazz', the music is whatever the player says it is.  If you don't get it, then something is wrong with you.   Sort of like the Emperor's clothes. 

That means sounds, I won't call it music,  devoid of blues, and emotional feeling of any kind.  The complete antithesis of the music that started in New Orleans.

Juilliard and Berklee are their holy sites.   The students from these places  couldn't find New Orleans or Mississippi with an Atlas.

Wynton is on the other side of this cultural war.   The fate of Jazz as we know it is at stake.

Cheers

***** You must be hung up on European heritage.*****

I make be hung up on many things, European heritage ain't one of them.

The correct answer is the piano.   It is more expressive than trumpet or sax.   I have never seen anyone, save classical players, play trumpet or sax on stage by themselves.   Those instruments are not expressive enough by themselves.  They need support.   Remember, we are speaking of Jazz.

Cheers