Higher End DACs

I am looking for a DAC (potentially streamer&DAC) to be paired in a mcintosh system (c1100/611). Its my first foray into digital streaming and I have no need for a CD player.

I see a lot of love for Esoteric, however, most seems to be around their transports? Are they not as renowned for pure digital streaming and/or standalone DACs? I see DCS (for instance) often referenced for standalone DACs - how does Esoteric compare?
ufguy73
OP,

You are asking a lot of excellent questions regarding component selection and integration into an already well conceived system.

Here’s an analogy to think about, and in advance I’ll state there are additional layers that could be developed but that would take more time than I have right now.

Think about it like a multilevel chess game (or that game they played on STTNG). To get the equation or formula just right, you need to win on all of the levels. All levels involve compatibility.

One important level, and the one I was referring to in my first post regarding your Macs and why I thought pairing them with a warm dac would be bad is what I call the sound temperature level. I wrote about this recently on another thread but think about a sound spectrum from zero to 100, where 0 is cold, dull, boring, 100 is hot, hurts your ears, and 50 is neutral. 25-40 might be what some call “warm,” and 60-85 might be what some call “bright” (and you could fill rest of that spectrum in with any number of other descriptors but you get the point).

This is a good time to say there in no one right answer, even though some will claim there is. You might be a “20 person” and for you 20 is perfect on the temp chart. Or a 68 person, or a straight up 50 person. Like a sleep number bed. No right answer.

That said, we can think of each component as falling somewhere along the temp spectrum (though everyone hears differently and since no independent ratings org, we have to estimate).
Let’s say for sake of argument your Macs are 20-30 range. Just a guess I haven’t heard your stuff. Just illustrating the concept. And similarly let’s say your 800s are in the 75-85 range.
If that’s correct maybe that explains why Mc/BW historically a popular pairing ( since many people on sleep number scale may like a “final combined sound number” within 40-60. 

I’m not saying final number a simple average (before someone jumps on me for that). This is discussional not scientific.

So anyway now you probably see why I implied adding a warm (20-30ish) dac might not be good synergistic addition.

Level two: Resolvability level. Not to be confused with cost level but somewhat related. You could also call this quality level but I like resolvability better. I’ll use my systems as example, and since dacs are topical here we’ll use them.

I own the Teac and Bluesound dacs/streamers and use both daily for multiple hours. For argument sake I’d say both of them fit within the 40-60 window above on the sound temperature scale described above (both fairly neutral). But on the resolvability scale of this level of the chess board they differ substantially. The former punches way above its $2k cost weight class to point I can comfortably use with my ARC/Spendor D series reference system (again, my reference is not at level of your reference, (but someday I will be hopefully)), and the Teac is not out of its league with the ARC and Spendor resolvability wise even though cost wise it is much lower cost (to my ears anyway).

The Bluesound, by contrast, no, it works in my much lower resolving system but that’s it. It can’t resolve at level of Teac and is like a C youth hockey player trying to fit in on the A team (everyone in the stands is like, wth is that kid doing on the A team, that’s a C player -I’m a youth hockey coach last 12 yrs, another reason explaining my 20 yr absence). The Bluesound would be out of place in my reference system (recall my earlier statements about where I can hear dramatic MQA improvements and where I can’t) and it would drag my reference system down in an unacceptable manner (like the C player pushed up to the A team).

A third level is cost and fitting everything within you budget and still winning at each level.

so those are three levels and you could extend it many more but I’m out of time for now .....

As with any analogy there will be infinite ways to poke holes in it. Offered as food for thought not as a holy grail of audio wisdom

@jetter, upstream component selection would likely not play a role to the 
same extent. That is Data packets are streamed and memory buffer before procesing. Bytes is Bytes ...
@kren0006 really great analogy!

I follow how you laid it out.. So, I gather (lets not quibble about the absolute numbers) Mcintosh would be considered on the warmer side of things - both the preamp and power amp?

I also agree that my speakers are neutral-to-analytical for me.

Given that, I agree a neutral-to-revealing DAC might be the way to go.  I gather from various reviews, etc. that MSB and T+A might be on the warmer side of what we have been talking to here - at least, T+A seems to be regarded that way, maybe not so much MSB.

Would we say MSB/T+A, although maybe a touch warmer and refined than DCS, would not be overly 'soft' with my system?

I recognize only my ears will ultimately decide but would like to think about things a little bit before seeing in practice.

@hgeifman thanks so much for chiming in so extensively!  Part of the issue is I don't have a current digital setup, so not a benchmark in my own system, yet.  I don't really have a dealer around me for most of these brands - and definitely not one that crosses several of them.

So, my plan of attack is to narrow down to 2-3 and see about getting demo/loaner units (shipped out of state if I need to) so that I can try them in my own home/system.  just in terms of logistics/practicalities, I am trying to narrow that first pass a little bit before ultimately letting my own ears decide!

@audiotroy 

I would be curious on your thoughts on the T+A being overly warm with my components - and also how you view the lack of MQA (not so much the relative merits of the format itself - maybe, lets just assume that some things have an increase in SQ when put thru MQA) in the unit?

also, for everyone, Bartok has been thrown out a couple times subsequent to my identifying what I've currently got...I am curious (if I could swing the incremental cost) if folks think I would have practical improvement in doing a Rossini in my system vs a Bartok (and/or if it would be worth going up to the Rossini for future purposes)?

As it stands right now, I think I would like to try an MSB Premier, DCS Bartok (or Rossini - probably need to decide which one), and something at a bit lesser price point to see if can detect the added bang for the buck (either a Mytek or maybe Luminary's t2)...im really intrigued by the T+A 3100 but the 'politeness' and the MQA still has me worried.
A MSB Discrete with dual discrete power supplies and the ProISL USB module (MSRP ~ $13,500 as configured) would be a fairer comparison to dCS Bartok. The Premier, especially with power base and upgraded clock, will be in a totally different league
OP, right on Mc and BW based on general consensus but I am not familiar with the particular models.  My comments are more illustrative on one simplified way of approaching options. 
 I’d defer on the dac recommendations because I haven’t experience with any of those hi end units. 
Only actual listening sessions BY YOU matter at end of day. 
Good luck