Higher End DACs

I am looking for a DAC (potentially streamer&DAC) to be paired in a mcintosh system (c1100/611). Its my first foray into digital streaming and I have no need for a CD player.

I see a lot of love for Esoteric, however, most seems to be around their transports? Are they not as renowned for pure digital streaming and/or standalone DACs? I see DCS (for instance) often referenced for standalone DACs - how does Esoteric compare?
ufguy73
@jetter, upstream component selection would likely not play a role to the 
same extent. That is Data packets are streamed and memory buffer before procesing. Bytes is Bytes ...
@kren0006 really great analogy!

I follow how you laid it out.. So, I gather (lets not quibble about the absolute numbers) Mcintosh would be considered on the warmer side of things - both the preamp and power amp?

I also agree that my speakers are neutral-to-analytical for me.

Given that, I agree a neutral-to-revealing DAC might be the way to go.  I gather from various reviews, etc. that MSB and T+A might be on the warmer side of what we have been talking to here - at least, T+A seems to be regarded that way, maybe not so much MSB.

Would we say MSB/T+A, although maybe a touch warmer and refined than DCS, would not be overly 'soft' with my system?

I recognize only my ears will ultimately decide but would like to think about things a little bit before seeing in practice.

@hgeifman thanks so much for chiming in so extensively!  Part of the issue is I don't have a current digital setup, so not a benchmark in my own system, yet.  I don't really have a dealer around me for most of these brands - and definitely not one that crosses several of them.

So, my plan of attack is to narrow down to 2-3 and see about getting demo/loaner units (shipped out of state if I need to) so that I can try them in my own home/system.  just in terms of logistics/practicalities, I am trying to narrow that first pass a little bit before ultimately letting my own ears decide!

@audiotroy 

I would be curious on your thoughts on the T+A being overly warm with my components - and also how you view the lack of MQA (not so much the relative merits of the format itself - maybe, lets just assume that some things have an increase in SQ when put thru MQA) in the unit?

also, for everyone, Bartok has been thrown out a couple times subsequent to my identifying what I've currently got...I am curious (if I could swing the incremental cost) if folks think I would have practical improvement in doing a Rossini in my system vs a Bartok (and/or if it would be worth going up to the Rossini for future purposes)?

As it stands right now, I think I would like to try an MSB Premier, DCS Bartok (or Rossini - probably need to decide which one), and something at a bit lesser price point to see if can detect the added bang for the buck (either a Mytek or maybe Luminary's t2)...im really intrigued by the T+A 3100 but the 'politeness' and the MQA still has me worried.
A MSB Discrete with dual discrete power supplies and the ProISL USB module (MSRP ~ $13,500 as configured) would be a fairer comparison to dCS Bartok. The Premier, especially with power base and upgraded clock, will be in a totally different league
OP, right on Mc and BW based on general consensus but I am not familiar with the particular models.  My comments are more illustrative on one simplified way of approaching options. 
 I’d defer on the dac recommendations because I haven’t experience with any of those hi end units. 
Only actual listening sessions BY YOU matter at end of day. 
Good luck 
Hi @ufguy73 (OP): if you are serious on MSB, email Vince Galbo (Vince @ MSBtechnology.com). They have a traveling Demo fleet that you can try at home with no dealer involvement. If you are happy though, you have to purchase through dealers

I have a very strong suspicion you will be very happy even with the Discrete. PM me if you want to discuss further. I have owned over 15 DACs over the past few years