Home Theater Done Right: Millercarbon's System

Dual use, should probably be the title. Oh well. Finally posted my system. Someone’s always asking about how to do a dual use system. Well, here’s how its done.
Cinephile or audiophile, movies and music are the two things I have loved for as long as I can remember. I want my music to sound as good as possible, and I want my movies to look and sound as good as possible. Everything is a compromise and yet when it comes to these two the compromises are remarkably few. If any. At least that is what my system shows. Because it is a first-rate audiophile sound system, AND a top level home theater.
Whether music or movies an immersive experience is the goal. To lose yourself in the experience. To be carried away.
Studies show viewers consistently rate video quality higher when sound quality is high. Unfortunately the Home Theater industry has chosen to pursue quantity over quality. Which cannot ever work. No amount of surround speakers will ever make up for poor quality. Everyone knows this perfectly well. Being able to convince anyone otherwise is a testament to marketing.
But that’s not my main point here. Rather it is that everything matters. Seemingly minor little things like cryogenic treatment, HFT, ECT, Total Contact, fuses, cable elevators, etc when added together actually make so much difference it is almost impossible to build a truly good system without them.

Removing those tweaks from my system would lower it down to merely average.

Anyway, the system is posted. Enjoy the pics. I am not that good a photographer but Steve Clarke was busy. Tried to get the tubes go glow- how’d I do?

The system evolves. Here for reference are some pics from 16 years ago. https://www.theanalogdept.com/c_miller.htm
Comments welcome. Enjoy!

128x128millercarbon
Yeah. As if its not amazing enough how well this stuff works, its maybe even more amazing how such tiny movements tweak the sound so noticeably. I never was able to get anything even close to too bright or hard with any of them, but was able to tweak the amount of sizzle on cymbals just by moving the ones on the front wall an inch or so at a time. My system isn't anywhere near hard or bright but a lot are and I can see how that could happen.
One that blew me away the most is on the back of the speaker by the port. Why these things work at all is a puzzler. Why moving them even a small amount is even more puzzling. How one on the back of the speaker pointed away and into a corner not only matters but makes a huge difference moving it just an inch or so is a mystery indeed.  

Sounds like you have a few more than me. Have you tried ECT? Very similar looking only optimized to go on electronics. They are even harder to understand as they have a very similar effect on sound quality even though they go on (or even inside!) components.

Quadratic diffusion, eh? To wield language and numbers like that, I'm gonna guess... architect? Lol!
Well, Acoustic Fields and Vicoustic sell superior quality and higher cost quadradic diffusion as well as other acoustic treatments. The HFT on the back of my Legacy Focus has to be placed between the two upper ports and the lower subwoofer driver. It is less critical, about an inch up or down to adjust to the room. The HFTs on the side walls, rear wall and corner front walls are also less critical in my room.

I was thinking about trying SR GCTs and UEF Cable Risers next. I found the SR Blackbox sucked the life out of recordings by cutting off frequencies above 8Khz. The UEF Cable Riser demo may indicate a similar effect using a type of ECT on each riser, or they may just focus the sound better. The Atmosphere XL4 is more of a toy and the default is mostly not better than no Atmosphere XL4 at all. 

I use the former Perfect Path Omega E- and E+ Mats, E+Cards and Stop-Its to great effect (waiting to add a mini-gate). They do electrically what the Black Box is supposed to do mechanically/acoustically, diminish distortion.

Upgrading my A/C cables to GroverHuffman Pharoahs made the biggest difference to my DAC, Transport, Turntable motor and controller. I already had the Pharoahs on my Bryston BIT-20 isolation transformer, amps and pre-amp/phono since I moved into my custom listening room.
@millercarbon - great system and great thread! Totally agree that solid value components and tweaks are the way to go. I’ve owned MANY components over the years including a six figure Shindo based system. After much listening and experimenting, I now use SR HFTs, ECTs, Atmosphere, Acoustic Panels, Fuses, Tranquility Bases, Black Box, etc. I started using PPT products as well. I’m finally to the point where I realize the actual components do make a difference but not as much as the room acoustics or how the signal and power are tweaked. Keep up the good work (battle) and congrats!
Thanks. Tweaks are just like components, they are not created equal. Some are much more effective and high value than others. The trick is to cover all the bases bringing everything up to around the same level. Everyone has their favorite. Its the speakers. Its the amp. Its the source. Its the room. Its.... whatever. 

In reality its.... all of it. Together. Like you have found. Like everyone finds when they bother to try. Every little thing, and no one really any more important than any other, because it all adds together. It really is as simple- and as hard- as that.