How far off are wireless audiophile speakers?

Just curious. I know many wireless speakers exist, some with excellent sound. But, do you think we'll see a day where you can ditch speaker wires?
aberyclark
I expect to plug speakers in the wall for a time being. If the speakers have built in amps (just like active studio monitors), you could have a choice between an interconnect to preamp or wireless. There is so much talk about speaker wire grades, quality, etc and much money is spent on such needed accessories. I raised a question once (and got my head bitten off) that interconnects (and speaker wire) can only produce sound only as good as the internal wiring capabilities of the component. A number of responses were that since the internal wiring was such a short length inside the component, very little degrading takes place. If that is the case, then the speaker with built in amp should be even more hi fidelity.
Aberyclark, that might be true it they were the same amps, not likely. Then there's the consideration of separating the amp from the speakers vibrations, enclosed heat issues, etc.. I'm not opposed to the idea, but it's not that simple.
They've had wireless headphones for years, and they still haven't come up with any to satisfy the customer, even with just headphones.

FWIW, I can't picture Wilson going wireless, at least on their serious speakers. They isolate their crossovers from vibration. I know it's common to hear noise just tapping the board in an amp. Maybe B&O might give it a shot, if they already haven't.
Though it would probably be more practical with ss than tubes, at the prices Wilson charges, I think they could engineer a way.