How to pick a tubed integrated without hearing one

I am taking the plunge into tubes. I do not see alot of manufactureres i am familiar with in the classifieds. How do i pick the right one ? I will be driving a small to medium sized bookshelf speaker . Probably a 8ohm model . My room is 11x14 .Should i only stick to names i have seen advertised in mags ? Will all of these have a similar sound/build quality.reliablity ? My budget will be around $1000 (used). Any info on these questions or on something i missed would be appreciated.
128x128maplegrovemusic
Just read the brochures; that is the method most use anyway. I cannot tell you how many times as a dealer I have lost sales to things the buyer never heard. It is sort of "Prophet in his own Country" effect. I once when I was in Knoxville had a prospective buyer drive up to Louisville to demo a competing produce; the dealer refused to play it for him but he bought it anyway.
Enough venting! Just do what most of us outside major cities do; a hell of a lot of research. There is as much info on the net as you will ever need; it just requires sifting. Look at forums for discussion of the gear you are considering; give first consideration to brands with a proven track record, not necessarily big advertisers. Quicksilver has been around a long time and makes good products but I seldom see any ads for them. Used Conrad Johnson is very good; at your price level I would buy used, much more for the money. A rebuilt Dyna Stereo 70 would be a good choice. You don't say whether you are looking for a integrated or power amp; I would get the latter, especially if you are not using vinyl. there is a good chance a passive pre would be all you need.
I was thinking integrated would be the best bang for buck ? Van alstine is close by and i can hear a piece in his system.And i did just recently see he won an award for his tubed integrated. How much does the actual tubes affect the sound vs the design and products used to build one? Is there a real dramatic sound change from different tubes?