I have only come here seeking knowledge...

Hi. Just joined Audiogon. In my first search here I didn’t find anything close to what I was looking for.

Background:

I gave up on vinyl when I bought my first CD player back in 1985. In early 2017, I got the vinyl bug again and bought an Audio Technica AT-LP5 based on my research, (the price didn’t hurt either). Overall, I’ve been satisfied with it, however, in the last 7-10 days, I’m hearing a pretty loud hum between tracks. When the new track starts, It either disappears or is masked by the music. Sound is as good as before this hum started.

My Rig:

Tuner- NAD C 427 (2016)

CD Player- Denon DCD-600NE (2019)

Turntable- Audio Technica AT-LP5 with VM520EB/H cartridge (2017)

Phono Stage- Alpha Design Labs GT40a (2017)

Homebuilt Windows PC with Creative Labs Sound Card, and  Exact Audio Copy,

Audacity software. (2014)

Integrated amp- Cambridge Audio CXA60 (2016?)

Speakers- Wharfedale Diamond 240 (2016?) and Wharfedale Diamond 225 on the way for Winter in South Texas. Tried Monitor Audio Bronze 2s (arrived damaged,) and Q Acoustics Concept 20s (one speaker was defective.)

Insight Quest:

Being both retied, the wife raises her eyebrows whenever I bring up the subject of electronics. The newest piece I have is the CD player.

I’m putting money away for a new turntable. Based on what I’ve seen so far, I got it down to two. I’m thinking of either the Pro-Ject X1, or the Audio Technica AT-lp7. I’d really appreciate any help and/or ideas. Thanks!

badapple
Hello and welcome to the Gon. Silly question, but do you have a ground wire between your turntable and phono stage? If so have you checked the connections since the problem started?
That was the first thing I checked. I remember a lighter hum after starting the plate and between tracks, but surprisingly it went away after maybe 70/80 hrs. of use. The only thing that’s changed, I moved my audio equipment to the basement a couple of months ago since my youngest son’s bedroom and den’s been empty since he left for college. That’s been fourteen years! We’ve been using the bedroom for guests, so I took over the then. Humidity is not a problem, and the dehumidifier noise is well isolated. One thing I should mention, during the run in period, I replaced the OEM rubber mat with one made of cork, and applied foam insulation to the void in back of the plate. IDK if that helped with the original hum, or it was the run in period that eliminated the hum. 
Could be an interaction between your electrical grid.

When you say "plate", what are you referring to?
I’m sorry, I meant platter. Far as I can tell, it’s made of aluminum but was hollow on the bottom. 
I used expanding insulation and trimmed it even with the bottom when it dried. As far as electrical, I used to have a large tv with a 5.1 system years ago where I have my audio things now. Never experienced anything similar. Mitsubishi tv, Pioneer Elite processor, Klipsch speakers, several dvd and bp players.