I heard the Box

I never quite followed what people meant when they commented "All I heard was the box"
when listening to a speaker. 

I experienced it now twice in the past month. Once with some Dynaco A25s and then with a pair
of Electrovoice EV 4s.

My problem is now that hear the box, I can't seem to unheard it. 

These old gems were meant to be used in my office mostly for FM radio background.

So my question is- A load of both of these speakers were sold over many years so
how did people get around this issue?

I am now leaning toward an Andrew Jones dual concentric bookshelf solution.
Those I have heard in my home and sounded quite acceptable at $600 new.

chorus
After listening to Townshend F1 speaker cables and interconnects I now am aware a lot of the sound of other wire is resonance coloring the sound of those wires. Pretty much all of them. After listening to Townshend Pods and Podiums it is now clear a lot of what we near from speakers and components is actually the stuff they are sitting on. It rings and this resonance gets back into the signal coloring the music. Immediately upon upgrading my crossovers it was apparent a huge amount of what I have heard from every other speaker anywhere ever was flattened, dulled, and distorted by the cheap crossover components everyone uses. When my panel was redone it was mind-blowing how much grunge is everywhere.

I never really got what people meant by cable elevators, until I tried them and now can never unheard that either. One time I left my system on all day, everything even the tubes, then listened late at night when everything sounds better, and now I can never unhear that.

Just thought I would share all this since we are like brothers, being able to remember what we hear. So many audiophiles claim not to be able to hear anything, or remember anything, they need instantaneously scientifically verified double-blind random interweb doubt rectification validation to even begin to consider maybe something could be different and just maybe possibly not just snake-oiltation bias. I always dreamed of meeting another who can actually hear these things. Even though it means you are like me doomed forevermore to the hell of hearing and remembering.

How will we ever cope with this horrible affliction? Guess we will just have to muddle along somehow. Just please, for now, give me a few more weeks of blissful ignorance before Rick comes and makes me acutely painfully aware of how horribly boxy my boxes sound.
It could be the floor more than the box you hear if floor is suspended plywood in which case use isolation pads or similar. 
Some speakers were just that way and some are not but you will know when you get a speaker that does not image inside the box because your whole wall is the stage not just the little area between the speakers.
Not directed at anyone, 

The box sounds different than one would think. When I hear the box the sound stage collapses. Not some boxy sound. I think port noise is sometimes confused with the box flexing and making noise. 
I auditioned Martin Logan ELS versus their Motion 60's.  Talk about hearing the box!  It appeared as soon as the 60's were switched in.  It makes you wonder if the ELS designers and the Motion designers live on the same planet!

And it's got nothing to do with expensive wires or platforms, that's just more elitist audiophile hogwash.