I heard the Box

I never quite followed what people meant when they commented "All I heard was the box"
when listening to a speaker. 

I experienced it now twice in the past month. Once with some Dynaco A25s and then with a pair
of Electrovoice EV 4s.

My problem is now that hear the box, I can't seem to unheard it. 

These old gems were meant to be used in my office mostly for FM radio background.

So my question is- A load of both of these speakers were sold over many years so
how did people get around this issue?

I am now leaning toward an Andrew Jones dual concentric bookshelf solution.
Those I have heard in my home and sounded quite acceptable at $600 new.

chorus
chorus, do you know the model of the Tannoys you are using?

millercarbon, I think you have that backwards. You have to be wrecked to like Tektons.
If everyone would limit themselves to rock music, there'd be no realism issue.  All rock music originates from amplified boxes when played live anyway!

BTW my rebuilt Maggie 3.3rs with a pair of DWM woofers and 2 REL subs have quite a bit of bass and dynamics.  They don't like brickwalled recordings -- I have various tower speakers that seem to do better with that -- but there's no denying the beauty of the Maggies.
If everyone would limit themselves to rock music, there’d be no realism issue.

Au contrere, mon frere. Just look how important acoustical instruments are to rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVsQLlk-T0s

Mijo,

My Tannoys are FSMs. This is an acronym of "Fine Studio Monitors".
Built from 1985-1990. Only the British would try that sort of snobbery.

They are currently awaiting the attention of Danny Ritchie
in Wichita, TX. Hence I am trying these "Filler" speakers and
bitching about them.

Good news is that for the past 5 days I have swapped out the Electro Voice speakers for a pair of DCM TF600s. A breath of fresh air as the box be gone. Sadly so is the mid and upper range. 

Next week I am going JBL.