I hope break in is true

This is the first time I ever bought a brand new out of the box Preamp. No, wait. Second but, the other doesn't count.
I had made previous posts about my decision to downsize.
I have, everything is kinda good. You know, Okay.
I bought a pre here. great seller, great store. Couldn't have been smoother.
I am just not used to this type of stuff. I wanted something with a phono included. I kept it well under a $1000.00
Now, I got to ask you guys. Will this thing get better???/
I have not had to worry about break in before. Does it really exist?
It is a very well built unit. Remote, I'm not used to that! That's nice. Has everything I need. Except it isn't alive. The music is there, presented very nicely. Clean, no extra stuff. Just doesn't have any dimension.
Please tell me this is going to get better:)
scottht
Sean,
Thanks for the reminder. I ran the Ayre disc again this morning on repeat for an hour or so, and it's true, the sound afterwards is considerably deeper and more textured. Not a hint of grain. For me, it produces that same emotional connection with the music that I get when I'm trying out a new component or cable that hits me just right. My eyes close as I get pulled into the newfound ease of the music. What follows a few seconds later is always the same thought: "Uh-huh...that's it." The PAD burn-in disc also produces a similar result.
Muralman: I hear ya and was waiting for someone to say something like that : )

Honestly though, my Dad has never regretted the work that we did to his system, especially the speakers. He must not be that impressed with them as much as he was before, because now he tells me that he wants a pair of Ohm's like i have. I told him "how's it feel to want?" !!! : )

Boa: Someone i know told me that they thought that the Ayre worked better than the PAD disc. I don't have both discs to compare, but that person does. I'll take their word for it, especially since i've already got the ( supposedly ) "better" of the two discs and i don't need to spend any more money : ) Sean
>
Granite Audio also has an interesting disk that will burn-in your whole system or just burn-in the bass, midrange, or treble sections separately, using a choice of pink or white noise, or focused sweep tones. I have used it to get results similar to those that Sean describes, but have no experience to compare it with the Ayre disk.

http://www.graniteaudio.com/phono/page7.html