I hope break in is true

This is the first time I ever bought a brand new out of the box Preamp. No, wait. Second but, the other doesn't count.
I had made previous posts about my decision to downsize.
I have, everything is kinda good. You know, Okay.
I bought a pre here. great seller, great store. Couldn't have been smoother.
I am just not used to this type of stuff. I wanted something with a phono included. I kept it well under a $1000.00
Now, I got to ask you guys. Will this thing get better???/
I have not had to worry about break in before. Does it really exist?
It is a very well built unit. Remote, I'm not used to that! That's nice. Has everything I need. Except it isn't alive. The music is there, presented very nicely. Clean, no extra stuff. Just doesn't have any dimension.
Please tell me this is going to get better:)
scottht
Never purchsed from MD...but

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=ACARCD

Looks like MD sells both Ayre, Granite Audio, plus a Purist Audio Enhancer! 3 choices...
Music Direct does stock these discs. If you are open to doing business with them, call and ask for Bes : )

As previously mentioned, the Ayre disc has several seconds of silence at the beginings of tracks 1 & 7. Do NOT crank up your volume thinking that something is wrong, otherwise you're going to pop something when the disc starts playing the 5 Hz tone at volume. Start off slow and work your volume up from there. This WILL give your woofers a massive work-out, especially below the point of port tuning on vented speakers. As the signal frequency rises, it also becomes easy to pop tweeters, so proceed with caution.

As a side note, sit in the sweet spot and listen to your system as it performs the "Cardas" sweep. Pretty interesting to see how the center image shifts as frequency is altered. This has to do with both the radiation pattern of the speakers and how it interacts with room loading characteristics. The more that the center image walks around, the more work you have to do on speaker placement and / or room treatments. Sean
>
Picked up one of the ayre discs today...this should be interesting. I'll report back what I find.