I need a lower gain 12au7 for Mastersound

I recently purchased a Mastersound Due Venti. It has 2 JJ ecc82 gold pins in the preamp. I find them to be a little high gain for my tastes. They do sound quite nice though don't get me wrong.

Could anyone recommend a 12au7 or variant that naturally has less gain than the JJ but still retains quite a lot of detail and low noise? New or NOS, doesn't matter to me.

Any responses or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Or if anyone has a Due Venti maybe they could let me know what preamp tubes they prefer?

I'm running it with a pair of La Scala's, they're just a little too efficient maybe...

Thanks for your time!!
ddderek
I'm no tech. expert, but I always thought the 12AU7 was designed as a "unity gain" tube. Meaning it does not provide gain at all. Usually used at the end of a preamp as a cathode follower to improve that circuit's ability to drive the cable and the next amplifying device. By experimenting you will probably find another 12AU7 that you " perceive" to have lower gain.
I guess I'm just looking for a smoother tube with a "Perceived" lower gain. I'm using a TT with a cambridge 640p on MM for my input.

I guess I'm just trying lower the gain of the whole amp. Seems to be a hiss running through the speakers, even with the volume off. Cd or TT doesn't matter. Unplugged all accessories, doesn't matter.

Maybe I just shouldn't be trying to run this amp with my La Scala's. Higher volumes sound amazing!! Lower, I get a hiss.
The 12AU7 is the lowest gain tube in that family of tubes. The problem is not the amp. The problem is between the speaker and the source.
Post removed