I've got a basic, directional decision to make.

I have a pair of excellent monitors, GMA Europas. They are fairly efficient at 89db. I have already made a decision concerning cables and interconnects (signal cable). The decision is whether to go with an amp/pre and a less expensive source, or to go with an integrated and a better source. All of the equipment I am considering would be used, from right here on the Gon.
Specifically, if I were to go the amp/pre route I would probably go with the McCormack DNA .5 and maybe a Sonic Frontiers pre. I really like the tube pre/ss amp concept. Then I would have to go with a less expensive source, maybe Cambridge, NAD, or Sony ES.
On the other hand, if I were to go the integrated route, I would probably go with the Audio Refinement Complete. For a source I would go with a higher quality source, I'm not sure what it would be right now. Jolida? Rega? Not sure.
So which direction would you go?
The bottom line is that I have about $1200-$1300 to spend, $1500 at the outside. Living in a dreamland for a moment, what I would like is the McCormack DNA .5 SS Amp, a Rogue 66 pre, and a high quality source. So maybe the key is to find a real giant killer of a cdp (as the GMA Europas are to monitors). I'm stumped.
Any input is much appreciated.
jb3
I think the difference between hi-end CD players and mass market ones is less significant than between hi-end amps and mass market receivers. I'd worry about the amps first, but I'd also not sink much money yet as you'll be wanting to replace it in a year or two with a digital design.
You folks have to provide more info if you want well thought out answers.

1) Will you be using sources other than your digital player ? If so, what other sources do you plan on using. The reason that i ask is that input switching versatility and system gain comes into play here.

2) Does versatility of the digital player matter i.e. do you want to be able to play dvd's, SACD's, DVD-A, etc... at all or is this strictly going to be a redbook player ? I know that you didn't mention these other formats, but it is something to consider now prior to purchasing rather than changing your mind later.

3) What kind of music do you listen to and how loud ? Obviously, higher spl's in a bigger room will require higher power levels. This may swing part of the budget one way more-so than the other.

Obviously, you are not against buying used or you wouldn't be here on Agon. If you shop carefully, you could easily put together a very nice sounding system for the budget that you have in mind. You don't have to spend big dollars to obtain a very nice sounding, enjoyable audio rig. 90% of the performance of most rigs can be had for 2 - 3K if buying used and one knows what to look for and set things up. The next 5 - 7% of performance brings the entry price up quite a bit from that point. Trying to achieve that last 3 - 5% of "musical resolution" can drive you into bankruptcy if your not careful. : ) Sean
>
Sean,
This is a basic, single source, audio only system. My musical tastes are varied, and I don't listen at ridiculous levels or in a very large room (roughly 15x18).
Something else that proving to be a road block for me is remote control of the pre. I have found that it limits my choices to the point that I may just go without. The only thing that I want it for is volume control (with a single source, what else is there anyway?). What are your thoughts on this? This sytem will be in the main living room, and installed in what is now a closet. I know a lot of you guys do not have or want remote control. Do you find yourself getting up and down all the time when the wife calls you, or the phone rings, etc.?
I agree regarding the source,,,everyone says garbage in/garbage out, but if wise, no reason to have the garbage CD player,,,

I would find a used Parasound CDP-1000...which later on you can add a good DAC as an upgrade, and definitely go with the McCormack...or a used Musical Design amp.
Go with the Sony integrated amp. MOSFET output stage is smooth as butter. Great sounding, high quality amp. Big one is rated at 100 wpc. Also includes a great phono stage capaable of running an MC cartridge.