If your were to assemble a vintage system ?

Let’s say you were going to put together a vintage system and your source was primarily vinyl. Your price limit is $1500. What would it be? 
Make it as musical as possible. Super detail or thunderous bass isn’t going to be very high on the list. My first thought would be a 70’s Marantz receiver (50ish wpc is more than adequate) an 80’s AR table, and any iteration of a Vandersteen 2C that didn’t bust the budget. 

Could easily also swap in a Pioneer SX750 instead of a Marantz. 
Cartridge? Not sure- might actually go with something modern/current. AT or Nagaoka 

what would you put together? 
128x128zavato
I suggest a Pioneer receiver that has been refurbished.  Modern caps a d transistors do a wonderful job of elevating these units, as well as prolonging their life. Then some bigger Klipsch or AR speakers.  Preferably with "modded" crossovers and some internal bracing/damping. A Denon DP35f with a modern AT cart. Add a Raspberry Pi streamer/dac setup a d you'll be happy! Ask me how I know......
A buddy of mine used to run a Marantz 8B amp into a late 70's pair of KEF Calindas.  It was magic.  Sheer magic.  For a vintage system, I'd take either a pair of Calindas, or its big brother, the Cantata, and pair it with a Bob Latino updated Dyna ST-70.  That would be sweet and you wouldn't have to rob a bank to pay for it.
Zavato,  If you ask me about a vintage system and if music is #1 on the criteria, I would recommend you pick up a Fisher tube integrated amp or a Fisher tube receiver. There are many models to choose from and all are great sounding. IMO, you will really get a lot of enjoyment and performance out vintage Fisher tube equipment. 
I'm all vintage with:
SAE III CM amp
SAE Mk IM pre amp
SAE 2800 parametric equalizer
SAE Mk VI tuner
Thoren's TD 125 TT w/SME 3009 tonearm & Ortofon black cart
Infinity Kappa 8 speakers

My system is vintage. 

My system is set up for vinyl. 

My system costs about 20 times $1,500. 

My system can be seen here: theaudioatticvinylsundays.com

My system may give you ideas: for example, instead of the Futtermans, start out with a Dyna 70 (as I did 51 years ago), etc.