Innuos 2.1.0 upgrade

I note that there is a Sense upgrade 2.1.0  available in "public beta" for the last 8 days. It will not let my Zen mk II upgrade. Can any members who are in the "public beta" group comment on this upgrade? Also, I notice the "insights" have almost disappeared. I hope Nuno V. will enlighten us again soon.


Currently beta testing. No difference in sound quality but we now have Tidal integration which matches the existing Qobuz integration and it’s all you would hope. Doesn’t include MQA as yet but that’s not a deal breaker for me. Identified one bug, which was the return of the failure of the player to move on a track even when the music had. Innuos emailed the fix and it worked first time.

So, all good.

Your guess is as good as mine. It will depend on how Beta goes. I get those emails too, but I don't want to deal with a beta headache 

Due to go public by the end of this month but obviously it depends on what bugs get thrown up. I’ve not noticed any deal-breakers so far so fingers crossed.

I installed the version 2.1.0 yesterday on my STATEMENT. All my tracks come from TIDAL appear with the sign " ! " (exclamation point) and the title of the track. but now its impossible to read and listen them. Somedy had this problem? can tell me how to resolved. Since I bought the STATEMENT i registered many tracks. It's a big job and now it's look that I have to rebegin???????? I wrote to INNUOS SUPPORT and i wait an answer.


After 1 day the problem was resolved. I think it takes some hours to reinstalled all the tracks.

 If there is no difference in sound quality then I am hearing it differently.

I hesitate to make pronouncements on changes I can't double check; but the update sounds more organic to me, if that description means anything to someone else.

 Ok I was hearing it differently, one of my subs lost power coincidently with the upgrade.  I don't appreciate any change now.

Wanted to post about great service experience I had with Innuos performing this update.  I got an unexpected error message initially and emailed their support group.  This was late at night US EST and wasn't expecting a response for 1 to 2 business days.  I got a reply within 30 minutes and provided some additional information and went to bed.  Checked my email the next morning and had missed a request to do a remote live session with the support group to troubleshoot issue.  Figured I would do a restart/reboot prior to coordinating session which resolved the issue without me needing additional support.  Not sure this could have been handled any better and continue to be very pleased with my Zen Mk3.  Thanks.    

There is a 2.2 update with new features and many fixes now available.

There is also an Innsights by Nuono V explaining the update.

Good update. Still though, it want make me switch to Sense from Roon, just on the usability. Thanks for the update though, I appreciate it you posting about it