Is age bad for solid state amps?

Hi everybody,
I am interested in get an Audio Research 100.2 amplifier.
As I know, the production of these amps was from 1998 to 2003.
I wonder if transistors, capacitors and other electronic parts have some deterioration with age.
Thanks.
cinequadom
While they tend to be reliable, output transistors can and do fail. The following is a useful summary of the issues (note: the British term for "tube" is "valve"):

"Transistors also have their fair share of problems, and there are some things that they are just not very good at. Some of the major failings include:

* Low Impedance - Bipolar transistors are inherently low impedance, and additional circuitry is needed to make them work satisfactorily in high impedance circuitry. Noise is also a problem when high impedance sources are used.
* Heat - Transistors dislike heat, and if it is not removed, they will destroy themselves. Most transistors can operate with junction temperatures up to about 125 degrees C, but at that temperature, can do no work at all. The life of a transistor is severely shortened by operating at high temperatures.
* Thermal Stability - Transistors are subject to some major changes in operation, depending on their temperature. This can make the design of high quality amplifiers difficult, because the transistor has a tendency towards "thermal runaway". This means that as the device gets hotter, it will draw more current, which makes it get hotter still. This continues until the maximum operating temperature is exceeded, and the transistor(s) fail.
* Second Breakdown - This is a version of thermal runaway, but at a molecular level. Parts of the internal structure become hotter than others, causing the hottest part to do the most work. This makes it hotter still until the transistor fails. Second breakdown is the most common cause of output transistor failure in power amps. It also happens very fast, and without warning - transistors can fail from second breakdown even when at ambient temperature.
* Short-term Overload - Largely due to second breakdown effects, transistors do not tolerate short term overloads, and in many cases even a momentary short circuit will cause instantaneous failure. Compared to valves, transistor circuits are much less capable with difficult loads, and usually must be over-engineered to sometimes extreme levels to prevent failures.
* Hard Overload - when a transistor amp goes into overload, it does so with startling clarity. The harmonics produced are such that tweeters can be destroyed very easily, and the sound is altogether unpleasant

Again, there are many advantages as well. Transistor amplifiers are very reliable, and can be counted on to give many years of life without requiring even a basic service (most of the time anyway)."

Source: http://sound.westhost.com/amp-basics2.htm
Greetings for everyone

The great thing about this forum is that we can learn a lot from people who have deeply knowledge of High End Audio.

Everyone agree that electrolytics have deterioration with age. But the first post of Kiyanki shows that caps of a temperate amplifier like mine or a 100.2 can last probably more than 20 years.

Elizabeth, Kiyanki and Unsound agree that transistors can last many, many years. I think now that they are right.

Raquel goes deeply and her last post shows that low impedance, heat and overload might be a problem for output transistors.
I don’t really think that would be an issue for amps from Audio Research, especially because my own good experience with this brand.

Also, the web site she placed is absolutely great.

The posts of Raquel make me think in something that was floating in my mind: tube amplifiers.

For less of $700.00 including shipping to my Country a YAQIN MC-100B KT88 Tube Amplifier could be a good option.
The unit has 65 watts ultralinear, 35 watts triode, two separated power supplies with their own transformers and can be used as integral or power amp.

I think 65 watts are not enough for my electrostats.

So the question is, if this amp can be bridged to double its power without any issue and if its output impedance can go at half or so and make a better match to my CLS,s.

If possible, a pair of NEW “monoblocks” is quite less costly than a not so old ARC 100.2 or a Sanders ESL amp and even I will get an authentic tube sound.

So, I need an advice again about this.
Thanks.

I forgot to place the web site of the Yaqin amp's seller.
Here it is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310248614281&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Is aging a bad thing? Well, yeah - I have swelled-up and I leak a bit now and then. But I can still boogie, baby!
I have swelled-up and I leak a bit now and then. But I can still boogie, baby!
Wow, you must be me, Steve...or maybe I am you???