Is it best to isolate??

Just picked up a Audio Research cd7 and I whould like to get the most out of this player!Does isolating cd players really make a difference?I was thinking of the symposium rollerblocks with the titanium bearings under this player.I have heard that sometimes you can overdamping components and I don't want that to be the case.I'm using a Michael Green rack that is built like a tank already...
spaz

Showing 2 responses by buconero117

Isolate from what? Player vibrations, acoustic energy, foot falls, rack resonance? The most overlooked one is acoustic energy. To prove that just place your finger on the front of the player while playing your typical music, and not. You will be amazed.
some other throughts:

ISOLATION refers to the process of preventing (minimizing) externally generated vibratory energy from reaching a structure or component. Although this includes acoustic or air-borne vibration that is difficult to manage in exposed audio/video equipment, we are primarily concerned with the transfer of mechanical vibration. And, it is essential to understand that there is no significant mechanical isolation provided unless there is relative movement between the component and its supporting structure to prevent sympathetic movement with the supporting structure. Therefore, only a device or material that can compress like a spring or deform like an air-bag or a viscoelastic part, or “roll” like a bearing, can be an isolator. Exceptions to these “passive” examples include “active” systems that have electromechanical “self-leveling” capabilities. Obviously, hard “spikes” and (bare) "platforms" or "shelves" are not vibration isolators.

DAMPING is the dissipation of energy in an vibrating structure or component. It refers to the process of removing (minimizing) internally generated vibration that is inherent in a component AND any external vibration that, for lack of adequate isolation, may enter the component, by converting the mechanical vibratory energy of solids into heat energy - a process called hysteresis. Vibration damping is generally accomplished by the bonding of viscoelastic materials to the (vibrating) internal surfaces, mechanisms and parts of a component and by external coupling to viscoelastic materials or damping devices.