Is McIntosh a stepping stone into HI/FI?

I’m a McIntosh fan/owner and still own some Mc gear. This is not a knock on Mc sound; rather it be tube, autoformers, or straight SS, the sound is unlike any other. I was wondering why so many move to Krell, Levinson, Conrad Johnson, Ayre, and BAT. Is it associated gear, or a food chain thing? I understand that ears are like eyes and all fault to different desires. I’d like to know if/when you went back and if you feel McIntosh is a stepping-stone into hi-fi.
audio_elitist
If its just a stepping stone, its a pretty expensive one.

Mac gear is a reasonable choice for many hifi systems. Looks nice too! Nothing wrong with that.

I'll go out on a limb and say mac gear is generally not the best bang for the buck sound wise, especially in the internet age, but most gear is not that.
If you look through the for sale ads here on the 'Gon, you'll quickly discover that ALL brands are being offered for sale, so I've come to the conclusion that most folks are never happy with what they own, and are constantly searching for something different. Whose to say that the other brands you mention are the right sound? Read the audio mags, and you'll feel like you need to constantly upgrade to have better sound. Once on this merry-go-round, it never ends. Personally, I like the Mac "sound", and whose to say that it isn't right? Although I can't answer your question about coming back, because I've never left, I find the Mac sound quite pleasing. And after all, that's what really matters, not what brand you own.
Post removed