Is Old Music Killing New Music?

I ran across this Atlantic magazine article on another music forum. It asks the question if old music is killing new music. I didn't realize that older music represents 70% of the music market according to this article. I know I use Qobuz and Tidal to find new music and new artists for my collection, but I don't know how common that actually is for most people. I think that a lot of people that listen to services like Spotify and Apple Music probably don't keep track of what the algorithms are queuing up in their playlists. Perhaps it's all becoming elevator music. 

Is Old Music Killing New Music? - The Atlantic

128x128femoore12

Music of the 70's dominates today cause it is standing the passage of time. Too soon to see if it will conquer Bach and Beethoven, though not likely. Garcia made the comment that the Dead was just a dance band. Is it all about the rhythm? 

Is it all about the rhythm?   Interesting question from above it certainly ignited certain feelings in the listener and most likely increased procreation...!

@jjsmith

@limomangus

I dont believe the statement that buy age 30 your set in your musical choice

I do. I’ll go so far as to say by age 22 or so. I think you and I are outliers. I don’t know of or have heard of anyone middle age or older in my local sphere, at work, at the gym, or really anywhere except the Web who listens to new artists.

--------

By 22 I was already into the Beatles, Elvis, Dylan and was happy checking out the LPs featured in Paul Gambaccini’s book Critics Choice Top 200 albums (first ed 1978) as well as The NME Rock Encyclopedia (1978) as well as listening to the regular Top 40 charts.

All the bands I enjoyed listening to that came later eg Joy Division, The Pogues, The Smiths, U2, R.E.M. etc were basically a continuation of what had gone before.

I have never made any effort to check out any different music unless there was something catchy in the music. For example I only got into classical after hearing an old tape of Murray Perahia playing Mozart’s PC 21.

I did get into jazz for a while but it seemed a little claustrophobic after a while.

As far as patience goes, I never had much back then, Sinatra seemed so so slow. Somehow he seemed to have improved by the time I got into my 30s.

In one sense, all of the music I listen to can be put under the same umbrella of being called popular.

There is an untold amount of music that I will never get to listen to, nor do I want to.

It’s that hook, buzz, kick, heartmelt that I look for in music, and most of the current stuff I hear on the car radio just doesn’t do it for me. These kids of today just seem too knowing, just too professional in their career aspirations.

They don’t sound for real.

At least that’s my take.

@jssmith I doubt I’m a Sigma with my low creativity and average I.Q. However, I’m self-taught on computer since the mid-80s DOS, have a JD as well as having taken science courses at UCLA along with my history and political science BAs. Became a top commercial real estate appraiser for 28 years after 5 year stint as a residential property manager (hands on repairs too)/contractor for tract homes and apartments. Funny thing is that I’m mostly self-taught since school and prefer independent pursuits rather than group activities (other than choir for 51 years). I'm probably an anomaly compared to most people who are stuck in a rut both in life and work.
I can’t do anything artistic but appreciate and know art history. I can’t compose and play piano slowly yet I am quite knowledgeable on music history (especially opera and ethnic musicology). I don’t know how to create computer programs but am able to learn how to use them with minimal instruction. My learning ability accelerates with age, possibly due to earlier knowledge compounding with new subject matter.

As to bitcoin, I don’t like it. As to blockchain, yes, I can see myself using it just as I learned to switch from a slide rule to a calculator to a computer.

I will always want to listen to music on records and CDs. Streaming just doesn’t have much of the music I want or will probably never have (ethnic, out of print on esoteric music on formats of LP, 78, RR and CD). Note that streaming music is rarely accompanied with extensive recording, composer and artist notes whereas my Marston, Romophone, Biddulph, etc. CDs have sizable booklets of notes.