Is One Subwoofer Really Not Appropriate For 2-Chnl

I'm asking this question although I've read about this countless of times. I know 2-subs are preferable than 1 in 2-channel listening as they can load the room better for a more even bass response. However, is 1 sub really not appropriate and not recommended? Planning to go with a high-quality monitor + sub.

Anybody used a sub with Dynaudio Confidence C1, Focal Diablo Utopia or Totem The One?

Thanks in advance.
ryder
I'm using a single Rel B3 with my Dyn C1's. The time alignment/phasing is the trickiest part. Took me about a year to get it right. I had thought of adding a second sub but now I personally don't feel the need for it especially now the timing is right. I have my sub setup about 5ft to the right of my right speaker. I could never get the sub to sound right when I tried placing it between the speakers. Nearfield listening is why I guess it just didn't sound right to me.
Consider the trade off; a smallish bookshelf with a set of subs may cost about the same as a larger full range, and the full range, while taking up less room, perhaps, will likely be more coeherent across the entire spectrum.

I tried sub/monitor combos several times over the years and always returned to full range. I found that usually the midrange suffers the most due to the cabinet considerations and size of drivers. However, an exception was the much larger Wharfedale Opus 2-M2 monitor and matching subs. It is a much larger than usual "bookshelf" speaker, which was critical in competing well with its floor standing sibling. You can read it here:

http://dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?bShowUnpublished=&hArticle=759&PageOfArticle=1
As Jim Smith (Get Better Sound) would say, your budget should be spread over two, not one. Having said that, I have two, it is very difficult to set up two, alone one. Expect to work on it for weeks, maybe months. Both should be driven by a single mono signal. A TRA when used properly will be of immense help. The RatShack meter is useless in setting my subs properly.
I too had this question and found the solution with 2 subs. I use Merlin TSM-mme speakers. The sound is amazing, but pipe organ pedal notes and very low bass were just not going to happen.

I purchased one subwoofer and carefully dialed it in. The payoff was better sound, but the system became somewhat directional. The Merlins did not disappear as well before the subwoofer.

I bought a second sub. I placed one sub next to each speaker stand and carefully dialed them in. Now I get the Merlin magic and low bass. My experience is that 2 subs are better than one. Make sure you use the same model subs and they are very high quality.
You only need 1 sub since the very low tones are non-directional, however....the more subs the merrier 2,3,4 to even out the pressure zones in the room. Also, power subs alleviate the current drain on your main amp so the amp can do its very best without strain.