Is there a better DAC than the Schiit Bifrost for $300?

I have a Schiit Modi 2 Uber as my DAC. I'm not completely dissatisfied with it but understand that it is low end and that there must be room for improvement. I've got a nice older system but I'm not a fanatic about SQ (yet). I could use the Modi elsewhere or sell it...although Schiit just came out with the Modi 3 so the Modi 2 Uber is only worth about $60-$70 now.

There are open box Bifrosts on eBay for around $330. They are $400 new.

My questions are:

Should I see noticeable improvement going from the Modi 2 to the Bifrost?
What if I just went to a Modi 2 Multibit at $250 new, $200 used?
Is there another DAC I should consider in the $250-$300 range?
n80
@mesch When I say I'm not a fanatic about SQ I mean that I'm not inclined to spend thousands on a DAC. 

I might be willing to spend $300.

My amp is 250 wpc. Speakers are Aerial Acoustics 7B towers.
I have a Modi-2 Multi-bit (Mimby).  I think it sounds very good and is great value.  Sometimes the highs have a metallic glare, though.  A hi-hat can sound like air being released from a tire.

From the reviews I've read, it sounds that as you go up the line of Schiit DACS, the high's are improved - but most everything else is similar.  But for $250, the Modi Multi-bit is not a risky choice at all, IMO.

To my ears, the Mimby is better than the built-in ESS Sabre DAC that was built-in to my Yamaha integrated.  I think that was using the 9018 chip.

But, my CD player from 2000 sounds better to me than the Mimby.  It has two PCM63 chips with a PMD100 filter.  The highs are just as detailed, if not more than the Mimby, but not so pronounced.

I'm buying a new DAC early next year.  As of now, I'm interested in top or second tier models from Mojo-Audio, Metrum, Schiit, SW1X.

On the used market, old dacs like the Adcom GDA-600 or Parasound 1100HD can be had for around $200.  These have the same chips as my CD player.  I've read that the opamps and other components can be upgraded cheaply with excellent results.   I might do this, just to see how it would stack up to the Mimby and whatever I might demo, as well as a learning opportunity for me.

-Veroguy

I guess if I had any criticism of the Modi 2 Uber that I have is that it is not as bright as the DAC in my Arcam CDP (which may have been too bright). It is certainly warmer.

So maybe a Modi Multibit would bring a little of that back but I'm fairly sensitive to too sibilant/metallic highs. So who knows.

Its funny, the Modi Multbit I was watching on eBay (new, open box....which is a joke of a description if you ask me) had a $170 minimum bid. Zero bids. $18 shipping.

Now it has a buy-it-now price of $221. With shipping that would be $239.

You can get a new one from Schiit for $250. I don't know what people are thinking. Maybe some rube will buy it.
I have a hegel HD11 I used on my headphone setup. If you are interested I can sell it to you.
Regards 
I don’t find the Modi Multibit excessively bright In my system. If anything, it actually takes the edge off the digital glare from my CD player. System synergy is the key and cables do make a difference.