Jazz Recommendations

I am just starting to get into Jazz. I recently bought Thelonious Monk Quartet "Live at Monterey" and was blown away. Could you recommend other mainstream Jazz recordings that I should have in a basic collection to help me get started.
kadlec
Hi Dok,

There is nothing contentious about acknowledging the essentially modern outlook of Jazz. You are absolutely correct about that, and I think many, if not most people in the music would see it that way. Certainly many of its most important contributors (i.e. Coleman Hawkins, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, etc.) were fierce modernists that strived to remain part of the creative flow. However, I would never say that Thelonius Monk's music is dated, nor much of Miles Davis' oeuvre, nor that of many others. Their art is essentially timeless, perhaps the only useful definition of the word "classic" as it applies to Jazz.

According to an old book on Jazz by Marshall Stearns, the word Jazz is derived from the word Jass, which was a slang word in the New Orleans red light district that meant screwing.
My all time favorite is the JVC XRCD Sonny Rollins "way out west" CD.Breath taking CD..XRCD medium is amazing..
One of the best sources for building a jazz collection
is the Concord Records catalog. Great artists, great sounding recordings and great deals.
John Mclaughlin "Extrapolation".
In the similar vein to Miles "In A Silent Way"(add that to list as well)
Incredible melodic guitar . Absolute virtuoso performance.with `Sax Bass Drums.
Ray Brown Trio. 2 fer cd live "The Red Hot", and "Bam, Bam, Bam." Just excellent piano, bass, & drums. A swinging good time and excellent sound. There is some crowd noise, but to me it doesn't detract from the performances at all.