Lack of Surround Sound Signal from TV to Processor... Why?

OK, I am not the "sharpest tool in the shed" when it comes to all this "new & improved" Dolby stuff but I have successfully operated a Dolby Digital 5.1 system for many years.  Yeah, go ahead and say it!  I'm old...  :)

Here is my dilemma along with the associated equipment.  I cannot seem to get any Dolby signal whatsoever from the TV to the surround processor.  Just 2.0.  I am using an LG OLED TV Model  OLED65CXPUA.  The TV tuner is an ATSC 3.0 which is (supposedly) capable of reproducing surround sound from OTA DTV signals.  The picture is wonderful and the sound crystal clear but no surround even though my research tells me there should be some surround material from the OTA signals.

I also use internet based material such as Sling, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, FUBO, etc.  Same issue.  Everything is 2.0.  There are also hundreds of LG Channels!  Great stuff but same issue...

No matter the source, I cannot seem to get any surround sound input to the processor.  I am using the TOSlink connection which is supposedly capable of transmitting surround material of up to 7.1.  I am also reading that the new DOLBY ATMOS system is backward compatible meaning 5.1 should still work as advertised.

I have also tried using a Blue Tooth connection from the TV.  Sound is wonderful but again, no surround...

If I play a movie on the DVD player everything is normal obviously because the sound signal is produced by the player, not the TV...  

What am I missing here?  It is probably so simple I can't see it...  Any ideas?  

Any suggestions or ideas would be more than appreciated!  Thank you in advance.

Paul

tahoe36c

I had the same problem when I connected a Toslink cable. Check your optical TV output to make sure that it is set to pass through. Otherwise, it will only output 2 channel sound. Check the processor settings as well to make sure that it is set to pass through. Hope this helps. 

Well...

freediver hit the nail on the head.  I dug into the "Advanced Settings" menu and there in front of me were the options; PCM, Auto and Pass Through.  It was set to PCM.  I tried Auto and Pass Through.  BOTH are providing 5.1 information to the processor!  All is well....  Big relief here!

Many thanks to freediver and everyone else who chimed in with suggestions.  Your suggestions, ideas and/or recommendations mean a lot to me.  Stay safe out there...