Latest bin find.....Elton John

I found an unusually clean copy of EJ's second album, simply titled "Elton John"

This replaced my okay copy. Just when you've written off certain albums off as unobtanium(condition/cost) a minty copy awaits with persistence!

This Uni domestic press sounds fantastic. Perhaps it's just because it so clean/unmolested.
Ive never heard a Britsh press. Faves include "Take me to the Pilot" ""Sixty Years On" and "Border Song"

I lost interest after "Goodbye YBR" but always keep EJ as a "Hall of Fame" kinda performer.

tablejockey
Putting on my GBYBR/DJM lp. The label is tri-colored. The top 1/3rd is black, then a thin white strip is on an angle, the rest is yellow. My "Madman" copy has the same label w/ Strawberry in the dead wax. I believe this was the name of the recording studio?

This was all back in the glory days for vinyl. The presses were running non-stop. 

tablejockey,

At the time I bought that "Aqualung" lp, there were little options for re-masters as there are now. I remember contacting ED regarding one tick on the lp. I made the mistake of disclosing that I had used LAST on the lp. This was his "out", saying he was not a proponent. I think he learned well from his former master, Chad.

I feel much, much better now after your experience.

Happy Listening!

I put on my "Madman"/DJM lp. (Same label as above).  It has all of the hallmarks of an all analog pressing. The negatives are this, the soundstage height is seemingly being crushed by a weight coming from the ceiling. Destroying all of the air/bloom and expansive soundstage that could have been.
Side 2of GBYBR.....Elton’s vocal range is fully expressed. Elton’s low range is presented with a palpability that is unforgettable. The expansive soundstage is a thing to behold.

These were my thoughts from the next room. Gotcha!

Still very true!

I will compare to my early MFSL later. This DJM has an "ease of presentation" that is palpable.

BTW, ..comparing these two titles is great form of the complete differences of one to another!

slaw- I think side 3 of GB is my favorite. It's the only DJM I have.
The guitar riff that preceeds the chorus to "All the Girls" and bass lines sound fabulous with the volume knob at 2 o'clock and the tubes cookin.
Lots of subtlety in that cut.

An interesting  newspaper clip was included in my copy. Dated November 5, 1977. Long Beach Press Telegram.

Headline-"No more shows for Elton John"
British rock  star Elton John has told weeping fans he is giving up live performances onstage.
The 30-year old creator of "Captain Fantastic and dozens of other million-selling hits made the surprise announcement in front of 7,000 fans at a charity concert Thursday night in north London...

The article goes on with his love of soccer and involvement in a team, which was taking up a lot of his time.

In  closing, the article mentions his "coming out" and getting booed at British soccer stadiums. Also, he was listed as one of the world's "worst dressed women" by Hollywoods designer Richard Blackwell.
My, times have changed!