Latest bin find.....Elton John

I found an unusually clean copy of EJ's second album, simply titled "Elton John"

This replaced my okay copy. Just when you've written off certain albums off as unobtanium(condition/cost) a minty copy awaits with persistence!

This Uni domestic press sounds fantastic. Perhaps it's just because it so clean/unmolested.
Ive never heard a Britsh press. Faves include "Take me to the Pilot" ""Sixty Years On" and "Border Song"

I lost interest after "Goodbye YBR" but always keep EJ as a "Hall of Fame" kinda performer.

tablejockey
I went to Tom Ports apartment in Sherman Oaks (a couple of blocks from mine, just off the Ventura Blvd. that Tom Petty mentions vampires walking down in "Free Falling") a couple of times in the 90's, buying a French pressing of the Magical Mystery Tour LP. I was surprised to learn he had a decidedly mid-fi system through which he made his LP sound quality assessments. At the time his prices hadn't yet become absurd.
bdp24,

The last time I saw a picture of his set-up, he had a VPI TNT sitting on cinderblocks close behind his big Legacy speakers. (Not that there's anything wrong with that?)

You've led an interesting life. I always enjoy reading about your experiences.

Cheers!
A few years ago, I use to correspond with TP about music and such. One time I remember asking about the Herron phono stage, (which he use to sell). He told me he wasn’t a proponent.

I believe that was when I quit my correspondence.

I actually purchased my EAR 834P from him. When I received it, to my surprise, he had enclosed a used Amperex Bugle Boy at an extra $50.00 charge. When I inquired about it he did not make any apologies. I accepted it and never did business with him again. Life's too short.
"I actually purchased my EAR 834P from him. When I received it, to my surprise, he had enclosed a used Amperex Bugle Boy at an extra $50.00 charge. When I inquired about it he did not make any apologies. I accepted it and never did business with him again. Life's too short."

Slaw-that's an odd business move. That kind of maneuver would give  me reason to drive to his place of business(since I live here, in SoCal) and have him look me in the eye and explain himself.

Since this thread detoured earlier with dialogue about David Lindley and his history with Jackson Browne, thought I'd mention I found a very nice early copy of "Saturate Before Using." "Doctor My Eyes" is such a great cut. I really enjoy JB's first 4 albums

Also, rediscovered an Elton John album that's rarely mentioned. Years ago, I found a sealed,DJM "Empty Sky" I guess I played it once, and put it in the collection, never pulled it out again. I have the stereo version, not the rare mono.

I like more now, than the first pass. The only song that ever got any radio play at the time I believe was "Skyline Pigeon" I think it's an underrated album.