Legacy SE versus Vandersteen Quatros

Looking for input regarding the above---seeking advice based upon first hand knowledge of the pros or cons of the two speakers above mentioned----thanks for your time---

cheers.
bluesnbike1954
I have years of experience with both models (well Legacy Focus 20/20) that is 90-95% of what the HD now is.
The Legacy was a speaker lived with happily for over 5 yrs till we heard the Quatro, the bass was so much more, more slam, impact, better pace. The Mids had a smoother for pleasing and defined image and impact aswell. The treble while often on Legacy was found to fatigue was all but gone given the recording was not piss poor.
There was an extended period of disbelief that the smaller woofers were actually so much better at bass production and the fact you can tune them to most any room is a super bonus.
The Legacy is a good speaker with a good track record and longevity. The Quatro is a GREAT speaker with even as good or better longevity aswell as an outstanding track record of its own.
IMO (and I have said this often) the Legacy is a college kids speaker.....it will jump up and jam at a moments notice, the Quatro however is the grown ups speaker,,the one you go to after you have experience, made mistakes and now know what you want.
10k give you lots of options (used Sohia II, or even III, to name one), and I do lots of listening.

Yikes, many typos. Shd be:

10k gives you lots of options (used Sophia II, or even III, to name one), and I'd do lots of listening.

J
Yes, the Legacys sound great with rock. After all, they will absolutely scream at loud volume levels that the vandersteens could only dream of. They also have 2 12" woofers. The vandersteens may be powered, and you may be able to "boost bass" on the back of them....but the Legacys bass is one of the best Iv'e heard with a nice amp. If positioned correctly, they are just incredible

Legacy speakers are rolled off, warm and relaxed. If you don't like that sound, I wouldn't get the Legacys. However, Ive never heard speakers sound so good with so many different types of music, as well as so many different recordings. They play everything extremely well.

I have owned Martin Logan Ascent i's, Martin Logan Aeon i's, Magnepan 1.6's, Paradigm signature s8, and more...nothing has come close to the Legacys. IMO the older Focus 20/20's are the best value out there for under 3k used.

Personally, I have a thing for old school big driver speakers. Unless I'm sitting at a desk, many speakers just don't do it for me. I need that large sound that feels like you are there. I need a speaker that can do it all. For me, thats what a good speaker does. I don't like speakers that sound good with only 10-20 albums.

My day job is a music director at a church. I also lead the sound team. I sing, play sax, drums,and other instruments for a living. I also run a local studio. IMO NOTHING sounds more real and beautiful as the Legacys, Magnepans, and Logans. Out of these, overall I'd go with the Legacys...as they do more, and sound consistantly the best.

As far as imagining, there are speakers slightly better. As far as detail, speakers that are slightly better. The bottom line is the Legacys are for people who just flat out love good sounding music. I mean these things just sound incredible.

Sorry to talk the Legacy Focus up so much on these forums...but I really just love them. I sold mine about 2 years ago, and I have regretted it everyday since. Eventually, I will buy another pair.

I have heard the quatro'sand for me they are over priced, and not worth the money. Everyones different and therefore hears differently, so only you can decide which you prefer.