Line voltage is 116 not 120 why?

I measured my line voltage with a volt meter it stayed steady at 116 shouldn't it be 120.Will this effect the sound of my amp since the voltage is lower?Can anything be done to bring it up to 120?
Mike
hiendmmoe
The standard is 120V nominal + or -5%. In other words it can vary from 114V to 126V. I would love to have 116 in winter,I have 125V most of the time unless its hot summer with a lot of air conditioning going.Most of your lights and other stuff will last longer.Refrigeration and other equipment might like 120 better.Its within limits,but if you live in an all electric area,the voltage may drop more when its cold and the electric heat puts a heavy load on.I have 115v in the summer,and the a/c runs a lot.I don't think it will bother most audio gear.You could complain,then they may put a recorder on,and correct it.Or they may turn the regulator up to 125V. Then your bill may go up,plus shorter light bulb life and some electronics may run warmer.Its hard to say,but in the summer,if your area gets hot a lot,it may drop lower yet,then I would complain.It would be nice to have 120 all the time.I'm not an electrician,but that's my opinion.
Mostly I have 118. During peak demand of summer, it'll droop as low as 115.

Lower voltage implies higher amps for same power.
Magfan - Not necessarily. My amp (Rowland 102) has SMPS and produces the same maximum power for supply voltage 85-265V.
Kijanki,
Off topic, just curious if you ahve your JRDG 102amp powered up directly from the wall or power conditioner?
Nasman - I had it powered from the wall but recently I added Furman Elite PF20 conditioner. Rowland is plugged into high current bank of outputs. It removed bass resonances (nodes) while not affecting dynamics and opened midrange a little (Furman supposed to increase available peak current to 55A). I'm not sure if midrange is due to Rowland or Benchmark DAC1 (that drives it directly) that is also supplied thru conditioner. It could be that bass resonanses were masking midrange. The really strange thing is that TV picture got cleaner, brighter and more vivid (stronger colors). Furman supposed to correct for power factor and TV is DLP (projection). Maybe just bulb is brighter now in addition to digital noise reduction (HDMI).