looking for a better DVD player

Hello All,

I tried this thread on the HT heading under a different title and got no response. Lets see if the digital heading will do better.

I'm considering replacing my Pioneer Elite DVC-36 DVD player and these machines have caught my attention. The Ayre D-1, Arcam FMJ DV-27 and the Camelot Technology Round Table. Anyone out there w/personal experience and or opinions, I would love to hear from you. I already have a music only cdp, the Metronome CD2v Signiture, so the most important thing is the best video and surround sound performance. If you know of any other player(s) I should add to this list, I would like to hear from you as well. My TV is a Mitsubishi 46809 HD ready RPTV. Any info would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance......John
jrwr7
If you're running the DVD player from its progressive scan output, which I assume you are into the Mits, you might get off cheap with the Denon DVD player as it is one of the only less-expensive players(around $500) that uses the Faroudja/Sage DCDi chip that is normally only found in much, much more expensive units. In terms of surround sound it probably will depend more on the pre/pro(and the digital cable) you're using than on the Denon, which probably does a fine job passing the digital signal. Best of luck.

Tim
Hello folks,

Flemke, I don't feel comfortable going from Pioneer Elite to Sony. Call me a snob but I feel that I've graduated from that level of equipment and have my sights set a bit higher.

Soix, due to a bad experince w/Denon the company and a dealer, I will never purchase another piece from them. Not even to drop it off a roof to watch it explode. Thank you for the suggestions......John
Jrwr7
Your not a snob ,just incorrect. The reviews of the video quality from Pioneer are just average. The sonic quality of the Sony smokes the Elite.
Tim

P.S. Did you read the DVD player shootout at "Secrets of home theater"?
Another player that you should have in your "short" list would be the Simaudio Stellar. The other players you listed are also very good, especially the EAD.

Regards...Mike - Father & Son Audio