Looking for the next level in imaging...

I enjoy my system every time I sit down and listen. But as we all do, we get the itch to seek improvement!  I am intrigued by Omnidirectional speakers such as MBL’s, German Physiks etc. and breaking free from the head in a vice sweet spot to get better imaging throughout the room and better the imaging in the sweet spot!  I believe changing the speaker will deliver on this quest!  What speakers would you look at? Or would changing a component yield the result? Has anyone gone from the traditional dispersion speaker to an omnidirectional?

current speakers are Martin Logan Ethos

budget $20-30K...could stretch if something is exceptional

polkalover

@mahgister  Please answer this simple question.  A recording of a trio.  Guitar, Bass and Sax.  The recording engineer has mixed the final tape to have all three mics/instruments playing an equal signal from left and right channel.  This puts the sound of the recording with all three instruments in the center of the stage.  Are you claiming there is any stereo equipment or room treatment, or combination of each that will produce a playback in my listening room where the three instruments are spread out across the room, and for good measure, the sax is in the center and five feet in front of the guitar and bass? That is what I called into question with the statement, if it's not on the recording, it's not in your listening room.  Cheers.

On my stereo system I can hear singer‘s voices about 6 feet above the floor and their guitars about 3 feet or so above the floor.  Some Eric Clapton albums, for example are like that.  His unplugged album you can tell he is sitting down.  His voice is a little to the right and about 4 feet above the floor and his guitar about 3 feet.  I have heard several other albums/singers like that- even if they are to the left or right.  I don‘t know how my system does it.  And sometimes the voice is 3 or 4 feet above the floor with the instruments at the same level.  Chorale pieces are very exciting.  Voices in some recordings extend up to the ceiling and beyond the walls.

Different recordings have different imaging.

@toddalin 

I think I understand your point now. I doesn’t matter if the lead guitar is on the left or right it is the fact you can hear different instruments in their own space? This is how most all the music I listen to sounds like. It’s nice that everything isn’t jumbled together in a big wall of sound. I can enjoy how each instrument sounds individually. Happy listening. 

Ron 

My system also does all that.  Steely Dan is a favorite for imaging and a wide soundstage.  The instruments and sound effects are floor to ceiling and wall to wall.  With many recordings of bigger bands, it's very clear how one horn is in the back row compared to another.  It's there in the recording and most any decent stereo will give you a good sense of stage image.  My contention remains, it is in the recording, NOT in the system or room treatment.  Those can only improve what is on the recording, but not create what isn't there.  

Can’t create what is not there, but what if it’s there and your system can’t re-create it?  You wouldn't know that it's there when it is.