Marantz SC 11 S1 Pre amp

If you have heard this pre, how would you describe its sound? Is it tube-like, analytical, warm, cool ? Is the phono stage decent? Considering purchasing one, but I have no way to hear it, wondering what people think. Thanks in advance for any responses. Mike
winoguy17
Twang, the phono stage is excellent. At least the MM section that I am using is,have not tried the MC. This was not a mere add- on,it is quiet, fast and dynamic. On the new Neil Young re-issue there is a drum stroke in one song (cant remember offhand which song,only played it once so far)that literally made me jump up in my seat,sounded like it was right in front of me. An APO pressing of Count Basie had everyone in the house swinging, my son even came out of his room to check out the album and sat down and listened intently for awhile before remarking how "cool" it was. I am very happy with this pre so far.
That is great to hear! As stated here already, it is difficult to find information about this pre. For me, it seems to have everything - phono with MC, balanced out and in, and a good headphone amp. I have the SA11-S2 which I am very happy with, so I am sure it would be a very good match.
Cheers.
I would love to try the SA11-S2 just for the fact that aesthetically it would look beautiful with the pre compared to the black Sony 5400.From what I've read it seems that most people regard it highly,and assuming its built as well as the pre I bet it's quite impressive.
Winoguy, any comment on the preamp after breakin, now that it is two years since your post?